Misc: Ignition RITA Ignition + Wiring Diagram

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I fitted a Rita ignition system to an R75/6 BMW twin that I bought new in 1976. It performed well and was more or less maintenance-free. The only problem I had with it was due to a white plastic multi-point connector getting some water in it, easily solved by doing a bit of waterproofing.

brian gains

VOC Member
thanks for responses.
The issue does seem to be a bad connection but painfully of the intermittent type, i suspect a dry joint somewhere in the headlamp spaghetti morass.
Why was the machine wired for + earth, i'm sure it was wired using 4 wires where one would have done and using block connectors instead of spade connectors or torpedo connectors gives an idea of the mindset used.
The 'running' or 'not running' scenario is far better than the 'intermittent running' scenario which just spoils a ride from the outset.
On a positive note the rear head got re torqued as there was a slight mist, it appeared to be set at under 20lb/ft !! and that was never going to do it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just had a read of my instructions, After reading Nigel about better starting,
And seen that the timing is done at maximum advance !!, I forgot that, Long time since I did it.

Nigel, Does it need more or less advance for starting ?, I would think more ?.
Thought I might have a play !,
My L/ning is not good at warm start, It used to be very good with T.T. Carb's,
It would fire before the kicker was right down !,
But then wetted plugs after about 20 miles, Always thought it was the Petrol ?,
Been running Concentrics for a long time, Mk1, But now Mk2 s.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I can't say a thing bad about the RITA. I had one on the Shadow up until a couple of years ago when I fitted a new BTH that I bought on evilbay at a substantial discount. The reason I swapped is the amount of electricity it uses. The Alton could not keep up on an evening's ride. After about 45 minutes or even if I started out with a fully charged battery the turn signals would quit flashing. I would notice the headlamp dim noticeably at a stop. Which is all very strange as the same time I fitted it to the Shadow I also fitted one to my 500 Triumph. That one does not exhibit the same behavior. In fact on a second Triumph 500 I have I fitted one. It was only when they became unavailable that I started fitting the Boyer units.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
So far as a wiring diagram goes the one in Richardson’s book could be a good starting point.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I can't say a thing bad about the RITA. I had one on the Shadow up until a couple of years ago when I fitted a new BTH that I bought on evilbay at a substantial discount. The reason I swapped is the amount of electricity it uses. The Alton could not keep up on an evening's ride. After about 45 minutes or even if I started out with a fully charged battery the turn signals would quit flashing. I would notice the headlamp dim noticeably at a stop. Which is all very strange as the same time I fitted it to the Shadow I also fitted one to my 500 Triumph. That one does not exhibit the same behavior. In fact on a second Triumph 500 I have I fitted one. It was only when they became unavailable that I started fitting the Boyer units.
Steven, I would have thought you over there would have a Mcdougleator,
Brother Ron bought 2 back from a visit to USA, I have had one on the L/ning for a long time now,
Nice bit of kit.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Just had a read of my instructions, After reading Nigel about better starting,
And seen that the timing is done at maximum advance !!, I forgot that, Long time since I did it.

Nigel, Does it need more or less advance for starting ?, I would think more ?.
Thought I might have a play !,
My L/ning is not good at warm start, It used to be very good with T.T. Carb's,
It would fire before the kicker was right down !,
But then wetted plugs after about 20 miles, Always thought it was the Petrol ?,
Been running Concentrics for a long time, Mk1, But now Mk2 s.
Bill The Vincent isnt' fussy about when the advance occurs I think full advance at about 3000 RPM is fine, but you want for starting a timing of about 4 degrees BTDC so really you need a total advance of about 30 degrees if you want to run 34 degrees full advance for example. I think a lot of the Rita boxes made for Nortons have a lot less advance than that, since the full advance timing on the Norton is only about 28 degrees and probably they don't need so little advance for starting either. You have to use the Lucas 6V coils. They are about the only ones that can take the heat from the high current of the Rita. The coils have power almost all the time.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Nigel, I think I did it about 36 degrees, It was a long time ago,
So it might be already enough for starting,
It's never pinked and goes well enough !,
Starts first kick from hot and not bad from cold, It's just that warm, Seems to need flooding,
Not easy to do with Mk2 Concentrics, I don't like to use the chokes, Seems wrong,
Maybe I will get the hang of it this year :D .
Cheers Bill.