FF: Forks Reclaiming FF3 Lower Link

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Before I send my spare lower link off to Norman for the Modified Steering Stem treatment, I note that it needs just a slight tweak because, looking from above, one of the large eyes is tilted inwards slightly more that the other. Given that they are forged steel, they should presumably bend a little without undue concern?

Does anyone have a dimension as to what the distance between the two large eyes should be (without bushes fitted)?

Meanwhile, I'll try and find/fettle a suitable test-bar to get them aligned as best I can....

Peter B

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Before I send my spare lower link off to Norman for the Modified Steering Stem treatment, I note that it needs just a slight tweak because, looking from above, one of the large eyes is tilted inwards slightly more that the other. Given that they are forged steel, they should presumably bend a little without undue concern?

Does anyone have a dimension as to what the distance between the two large eyes should be (without bushes fitted)?

Meanwhile, I'll try and find/fettle a suitable test-bar to get them aligned as best I can....

Peter B
Hello Peter, We had this some time ago on the Forum, I make it , I think it was from Trev, 4.13/32 ", = 4.420 ". Cheers Bill.
GirdraulicsFF3.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
You can press them quite easily if the bend is not bad, if the bend is bad it is easier to heat first so you can bend it where you need to, I have straightened quite a few, and I have another in the shed which is quite bad, but it will come good. I use a couple of steel rulers and lay them across the outer face of the large eyes and compare one side to another. Rocking the link on a flat surface gives a rough guide to diagonal alignment, but not as good as a pair of lengths of round bar through the holes. It is desirable to get them square but most aren't, though the better it is the easier it is to assemble the forks. If the bush to bearing mod is carried out, then the honing will square up the large eyes parallel to one another. Good luck............Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Peter, We had this some time ago on the Forum, I make it , I think it was from Trev, 4.13/32 ", = 4.420 ". Cheers Bill.View attachment 17648
I thought I would add the other settings , In case the vincent .com shuts down.
A. 0.550"
B. 1.250"
C. 4.420"
D. 4.937"
E. 5.520"
F. 0.292"
G.0.6875"
H. 4.00"
Thanks Trev. Cheers Bill.