FT: Frame (Twin) Rear shock absorber alignment

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, I have had to point out to people what they are for but this does not explain what he describes as 'plastic bushes'. I hope to hear back from him with photos.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The body of the AVO runs directly on the spindles. There are two spacers, one on either side as shown below:

avo_spacer2.jpg

Last edited:

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Ed
Your pic' is slightly incorrect.
You've highlighted the RFM lugs, the spacers are just on the outside of the lugs, to take up the space of the spring boxes

Neil

timetraveller

VOC Member
Gentlemen, thank you for your help. Although I do not have a spare coil over here to look at I am pretty sure I know how they are fitted. The problem is that two emails arrived on the same day from two completely independent people, who live hundreds of miles away from each other, both asking questions about fitting the rear coil over. I am going to put bits of their emails below.
1)
Hi Norman, I have a slight problem with the rear coilover in that it's lop sided, caused by the bottom mounting. Its out enough that at the top its a good 3/8” / 5/16” missing the slot at the back of the UFM. A first my heart sank but in reality its the same UFM etc as was on before so I put the coilover in v blocks on the surface plate and its out by a fair bit. With a rule across the bottom of the shock the lower mounting tube is out - the bushing looks concentric to the tube.

Have you had any like this before, could you advise.

This one is on its way back to AVO.
2)
I don't understand why AVO don't insert the plastic lower bushes into the damper, to make certain it is done correctly.

I had to file off quite a lot of metal between the spindle bosses on the RFM so the AVO would fit. I hope that has not weakened the RFM. It didn't do the new paint any good....

I have no idea what this is about and am waiting for a picture to find out what the confusion is.

Once it is all sorted out I will publish on here what the problems were as that might help anyone else who has a problem.

vibrac

VOC Member
I cant see on my pictures of the twin racer as the racing number plates obscure but I am pretty certain that I would have made a new set of spindles for the coilover after all we are talking almost an inch of steel rod without a job to do.... you gota keep the weight down :cool:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I used grade 8 bolts and double nuts to leave a little end play. This was after the pin through the UFM bent significantly.
I had the same issue with my thornton coil over though in my case it was the F28/1 that bent. I used your same fix - a grade 8 bolt and double nuts. I also removed the coil over spring and reinstalled the original spring boxes.

oexing

VOC Member
Regarding that bent pin, while AVO is at it they could make that cross tube at the damper bottom longer, just maybe 5 mm shorter than the inner distance between the lugs. So there is some scope for deformed frame parts and the load gets spread nearer to the lugs and so no longer bent pins.

Vic

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Ed
Your pic' is slightly incorrect.
You've highlighted the RFM lugs, the spacers are just on the outside of the lugs, to take up the space of the spring boxes

Neil
Thanks Neil. I have corrected the photograph. Must get some new spectacles or better still, some new eyes.;)