Rear Number Plate Stickers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thats the guy! as I am paranoid I jumble the numbers and letters that makes it a bit more finicky but once you have them lined up and lacquered its a good job, very 50's, and best of all you are exploiting a loophole the whitehall pen pushers never noticed

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I see some of the new alloy number plates on a old sunbeam and not impressed they do not look right for the age of the bike and are very flimsy.
I hand painted the numbers on one of my bikes with house paint at first then over the years what ever I had at the time just touch up the yellowing and been like that for a long now and considering the bike was stored under a plastic covering outside for most it's life and are bit raised up now with a layer of lacquer to protect them and give them a glossy reflective look.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I used something like this 40 years ago on my "slicer" https://www.amazon.com/Headline-Sig...=chartpak+vinyl+letters&qid=1603013621&sr=8-7 Admittedly, it hasn't seen the weather as much as some bikes, but it has endured the years.

Numberplate.jpg

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
If you want a really nice embossed aluminium number plate, try Tippers Classic & Vintage Number Plates,
Cornwall, fairly simple process, just send them an email with an attachment of your registration document, great service and quality, I aways think the the stick on variety always look a bit cheap and cheerful, I suppose a really good sign written one would be OK if you don't like the aluminium plate.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I thought we are only allowed Proper plates and have to take our log books with us to get them made ?,
Or is that only when you get an age related number ?, In UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
What do our "back to factory spec" members think? My guess 1st choice is sign writing and second is stick on numbers I suppose arguably a blank number plate would be correct :rolleyes: as they left the factory numberless my investigations after original numbers for my rebuilt bikes in Oxford Archives shows big firm A went in on Monday and big firm B went in on Wed etc so it was the dealers who added numbers. I cant really remember many pressed plates back in the day never underestimate what a lucrative trade sign writing was back in the fifties

Last edited: