Rear Number Plate Stickers

G

Graham Smith

Has anyone had any experience of number plate 'number and letter stickers' to go on a PR27?

I'm thinking 2.5" letters?

Trickymicky

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I got mine off e bay. They came ready spaced on a sheet just how they would look on the plate, meaning i was unable to make a mess of fitting them. They did mine in ivory as i wanted more of an old english white look, but i think it would be a bit too yellowy for some.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I'm with you Len, pressed ones look a lot better.
On the size issue, as long as you don't take the piss, British police will let you get away with slightly smaller letters. However an MOT garage won't. Having said that Vincent's are generally MIT exempt so not a problem.

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
Has anyone had any experience of number plate 'number and letter stickers' to go on a PR27?

I'm thinking 2.5" letters?
Mine seem to be OK, although I did have to glue the end of the `leg' on the letter `R' down last year.
No idea how long they will last, but they were on the Rap when I bought it 50 years ago!
Ray

stu spalding

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was told by my local garage that it was no longer legal to make up your own number plates and that they had to be done by recognised people along with all the correct documentation. I know that this was the case when I had my pressed alloy ones made. How about it Simon? Cheers, Stu.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You are right Stu with regards to manufactured plates, expecially the modern type for new vehicles, but I don't know where you stand with old vehicles, especially as some original dealers in UK from the 1930's to 1950's used to get the local signwriter to paint the white reg characters straight onto the black rear plate. Try getting that through an authorised source today.

I see there are peple selling the pressed alloy plates on the internet as "show plates" just as Jon mentions. I have never seen a pressed alloy plate with any type of "type approval" printed or stamped on it and the last one I bought was through an official source locally which I had to provide the required documentation. The guy also makes modern plates so was just following what he thinks is the correct rules.