H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Rear Drum Runout - what is an acceptable figure?

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To cut a long story short, I can only quote Frank Griffin:

When it comes to Vincents, never assume anything, control everything!

There have been so many parts reproduced over decades and there have surely been not so good parts that left the factory.

Never just fit or use a part without carefully checking it. Believe me, I have learnt my lessons over the years. Swarf in new big end quills, anti sumping valves that stick, hubs that were so tight, they cracked when cooling down after fitting outer bearings, eccentric pdc on spoke flanges, I could carry on a long time and these were all new parts.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Ian, what is the benefit of shake proof washers over nylock nuts?
As the Allen screws are already tightened into the Helicoils, Nylocks may tend to loosen them. The plain nuts, acting as locknuts, spin on easily and are held, just nipped by the shakeproof washers. I would not replace the Simmonds nuts this way without the use of the Helicoil..

Spqreddie

VOC Member
I have found that radial play can be up to 0,1mm without so much intermittent brakeing, that is with a 2x2 LS set up. axial wobble is to no problems at all. execpt for the sight of it....
i guess for standard set up even 0,2mm radial is OK, as the unstiff set up forgives a lote here...

note hovever that the MOSTimportant is the flat surface of the HUB, The SPOKE flange DRUM. mostly i had to re-machine, also with NEW parts, i alwas say I buy 90% and the other 10% in quality i do myself. it works V.v. timewise though. if not flat, one gets cracks in the drum, same with the spokes, just grind a bit away on the spot, when interferring.

if bolts dont fit, i have a hand reamer 8 mm (oh sorry Mr Bananaman 5/16") this has a conical part. (use it in a drill press for perpendiculair reasons) But first try and find the position of parts, so most bolts fit.
Und der Berndie hat recht, but if a bit of radial play is there no problem, it cant go far, and braking force in Nm is not that much, it will hold on friction even mountain down.
All in all its just comon engineering.
Thank you Vincent,
Getting a figure at last. I have less than the mentioned 0,20. So I will use the whell as is and remeasure after some running in.

Thanks!

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
A shortened 1/4 drive 14 mm 6 point MAC tools socket and 1/4 inch drive ratchet fits well
20210326_094129.jpg
and makes it easy to tighten your nuts.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am a bit weak, But I like to get them a bit more tight, Than I could with that idea,
As had been said , If they are not tight enough, Could have trouble,
Even with Sprinting and Road Racing, Never had one come loose.

Another thing I have found, Doing up a nut and bolt, Via the bolt, Always found I could get it tighter,
at the Nut end ?.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't worry it takes a while, Welcome,
Bill.

You know this is just the Forum, Have you joined the Vincent HRD owners club ?.
If so when ?, Can't see you on the newest members.
Cheers Bill.