PR: Proprietary Items Post war longer seat for C Shadow

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Marcus my handsome, to use a Cornish colloquialism, have you ever weighed OPC 194 when fully fully loaded, I think it would terrify me, but then again I am a weakling .

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The first photo shows what can happen with a 'simple' suspended seat and a big bump in the road surface

Pic_1015_016.jpg

The second photo shows what change I made to my suspended seat installation to ensure there was no repeat failure.

P1090286.JPG
the added strut is just a simple length of steel that takes all the horizontal forces away from the seat mount lugs.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The first photo shows what can happen with a 'simple' suspended seat and a big bump in the road surface

View attachment 18515

The second photo shows what change I made to my suspended seat installation to ensure there was no repeat failure.

View attachment 18516
the added strut is just a simple length of steel that takes all the horizontal forces away from the seat mount lugs.

I've broken seats there that have stock suspension. I doubt if full suspension did it. I thought the gussets were too small at the front mount.
Cheers, John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member

View attachment 18515

View attachment 18516
Morning Martyn , Did you take out the pivot tubes from the front and rear fittings. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As an old back yard mechanic, I would have thought that was the trouble, I have been doing it to my bikes for years.
But you have overcome your trouble with the extra strut. Cheers Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Surely the problem is the angle of the rear seat supports, the more oblique the angle of the rear seat supports in relation to the seat, then a greater force will be exerted to the front seat bracket as the force (weight) is exerted downwards and rearwards when the seat is sat on, and that force is increased when you strike a bump or pothole (there are now many) in the road. If you go fully sprung with a custom made rear frame (sledge) of the type that Cyril Maylem used to manufacture, then it is most unlikely that you will ever fracture a seat front bracket as long as it has been manufactured properly in the first place, because with this sort of rear seat support the seat is not trying to collapse rearwards.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Absolutely right Peter, when looking at the "D" seat, oil tank & tool box frame it has a much stronger set up at the back of the tank but D's have the lower frame anchor on the RFM pivot bolt still creating a massive pull load of the top mounting, thats why I built mine as far Bach as possible even making the S/S foot rest plate longer, but to bring them back so a vertical drop from the rear of the seat where it wouldn't put any stress onto the forward seat mounting. But that wouldn't look right and a Vincent must look right. !
bananaman

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Attached diagram of a rear rack is from "Know Thy Beast", first edition. You will note that it provides for a fully suspended seat and incorporates a strut that attaches to the rear of the UFM that takes any turning moment loads away from the front legs of the seat frame.

Baaa

Attachments

• Vincent Rack001.pdf
    235.8 KB · Views: 39