ET: Engine (Twin) Oil Leak

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So difficult to form a firm conclusion on the strength of the oil colour, it does look like migrated engine oil with the hue of combustion, but it could just as easily be the detergent in a newly changed oil doing a clean up job of the internals of your primary chain case, but my feeling is it is simply migrated engine oil, fairly common, especially if the engine has heavily wet sumped, none of which explains the glitter in the gearbox, that could be a fairly big problem, you might need the help of an expert, sadly they are getting thin on the ground these days.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You are getting Brave Nigel, That is something I would never do,
Undoing the chain case screws !.
You have to remember these are old bikes, They tend to leak a little !,
A Vincent will never be a Honda, Thank God !.
The cases bolt up the other way so hard to make oil tight.
And the Engine Breather changed with the last Vincent, The "D",
But it needs a modified cylinder Head to fit the "D" pipe.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Considering how easy it is to remove the chain case I would go right ahead and get it off.
Have a proper look in there. When reassembling do yourself a huge favour and Get a set of the Cometic gaskets.

Colin

VOC Member
If you can source them, use different coloured oils (but correct grades) in engine, gearbox and chaincase. Leaks may then be traceable to each oil container. This is not infallible for obvious reasons, but has worked for me in the past.
Some 65 years ago when I was a clueless, penniless, new motorcyclist, a wise old mechanic at my local garage told me (probably whilst fixing my most recent attempt at "servicing" {or "butchering" perhaps more appropriate} my long suffering bike) "Oil is cheaper than metal, son" meaning if you are losing a bit of oil top it up, before something breaks/seizes. I now try not to worry too much about oil leaks.

Probably the above entirely irrelevant to your enquiry, but it did remind me of "George" who freely gave me so many wise words about bikes, engines servicing etc

nigsey

VOC Member
If you can source them, use different coloured oils (but correct grades) in engine, gearbox and chaincase. Leaks may then be traceable to each oil container. This is not infallible for obvious reasons, but has worked for me in the past.
Some 65 years ago when I was a clueless, penniless, new motorcyclist, a wise old mechanic at my local garage told me (probably whilst fixing my most recent attempt at "servicing" {or "butchering" perhaps more appropriate} my long suffering bike) "Oil is cheaper than metal, son" meaning if you are losing a bit of oil top it up, before something breaks/seizes. I now try not to worry too much about oil leaks.

Probably the above entirely irrelevant to your enquiry, but it did remind me of "George" who freely gave me so many wise words about bikes, engines servicing etc
Not irrelevant at all but very interesting. Sometimes we don’t always see the obvious until it’s pointed out to us, we’ll at least I don’t.

nigsey

VOC Member
Considering how easy it is to remove the chain case I would go right ahead and get it off.
Have a proper look in there. When reassembling do yourself a huge favour and Get a set of the Cometic gaskets.
I started out with that in mind but then halted when I discovered the clutch would have to come off. I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and just go for it. Hoping I have the tools for the job. Thanks for the tip re Cometic gaskets.

nigsey

VOC Member
So difficult to form a firm conclusion on the strength of the oil colour, it does look like migrated engine oil with the hue of combustion, but it could just as easily be the detergent in a newly changed oil doing a clean up job of the internals of your primary chain case, but my feeling is it is simply migrated engine oil, fairly common, especially if the engine has heavily wet sumped, none of which explains the glitter in the gearbox, that could be a fairly big problem, you might need the help of an expert, sadly they are getting thin on the ground these days.
Thanks for your reply, both reassuring yet a little frightening. Hopefully it’s nothing serious. I’ve refilled the gearbox with fresh oil and I’m considering running it, draining it and seeing if there’s any more glitter. Could be foolhardy though.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would just try and ride it for a bit, A Twin clutch is not something you want to get involved with,
If it's OK now,
Some of us have been 50 years trying to get the clutch really good !.
But it's up to you. Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The red {rust} in the oil is coming from the Engine shock absorber cam surfaces and/or the sprocket inner face up against the outer main bearing.........perhaps there has been a small amount of moisture in the case that has helped the situation.........As Bill rightly mentioned, the dirty oil is migrating along some of the lower crankcase through studs and leaking off the other side at or around the front lower kickstart cover area........There is also a long passageway between the forward crank case and the gearbox housing that allowed for a left hand kick start to be used.......If this passageway is still open then primary oil can pass along it very easily with the same result.........it's all a learning curve, but not likely to result in mechanical failure.........Just top up the primary with clean engine oil and see what it does.