NSU Fox Clutch Adjuster

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just to muddy the waters, I would have expected the NSU to use metric threads and the Triumph to use imperial, changing from Whit to AF spanner sizes and therefore probably from Whit to UNF/UNC thread form in the sixties.

oexing

VOC Member
Yeah, question is whether the handlebar levers were British or from NSU. As far as I know some components of the NSU were from local brands.

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
Back in mid 50's there was a set percentage set by .gov of British supplied items on imported bikes to enable certain discounts on tax (Not unlike the percentage of Japanese content on UK products to the EU now)
I have read it (Probably on here !) but could have been up to 50%

J

Josh Smith

Yeah, question is whether the handlebar levers were British or from NSU. As far as I know some components of the NSU were from local brands.

Vic
Back in mid 50's there was a set percentage set by .gov of British supplied items on imported bikes to enable certain discounts on tax (Not unlike the percentage of Japanese content on UK products to the EU now)
I have read it (Probably on here !) but could have been up to 50%
Tim’s right. To qualify for some tax relief 51% of the overall components on the bike had to be British-made (levers, fenders, wheels [Dunlop], carburettor [Amal] etc). The only German parts were the front forks and engine.

Josh

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
If you still need the bolt milled Josh bung it in the post and I will have a go.
If you have already done it yourself and you plan on having a long part of it sticking out it could be worth leaving a nut up under the head to prevent twisting and opening of the slot.

J

Josh Smith

Hi Pete,

I’ve put it in the post so should arrive soon hopefully. There are two nuts on the cable already so the plan is to sandwich the bolt. The thread inside the crankcase is definitely not the best towards the top (and the old adjuster kept slipping out of it), so hopefully sandwiching the adjuster bolt between the nuts will combat any future wear to the thread.

Josh

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Josh, Too late to help you now,
But if you are going to do Bike work, Wilco do a cheap angle grinder 4 1/4",
About £25, Or maybe a better one if you can afford it, From somewhere else,
Be careful they can be dangerous if not used right !!.
It came into my head when not thinking of your problem ! , Happens a lot as you get older !!,
You can buy very thin cutting discs, That cut through metal very well, handy for lots of jobs,
It would do your cable job in seconds !.
Also Flap discs for removing metal and wood.
Cheers Bill.

Last edited:

ossie

VOC Member
Josh, Too late to help you now,
But if you are going to do Bike work, Wilco do a cheap angle grinder 4 1/4",
About £25, Or maybe a better one if you can afford it, From somewhere else,
Be careful they can be dangerous if not used right !!.
It came into my head when not thinking of your problem ! , Happens a lot as you get older !!,
You can buy very thin cutting discs, That cut through metal very well, handy for lots of jobs,
It would do your cable job in seconds !.
Also Flap discs for removing metal and wood.
Cheers Bill.
Aldi are doing thin angle cutter blades for metal just bought some 11 in packet. OSSIE