Misc: Charging Systems Nippon Denso Alternator

tractorman414

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, I fitted a replacement Nippon Denso Alternator recently, admittedly I dismantled it to cut a keyway for a keyed pulley.
Whilst riding, the ammeter sometimes shows a discharge. If I flick the ignition quickly off then on (ignition also switches the exciter connection to the alternator) then it starts charging again. Any clue what's going on here. In the absents of a simple answer I will replace the inbuilt control unit
Bernard.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just checking here as some people confuse different alternators. Is this one of the 40 amp alternators I now fit to my alternator kits ( know it is not one of my kits)? Also is it a Nippon Denso or a Denso?

tractorman414

VOC Member
thanks timetraveller. Was not aware of the distinction, Yes the label is "Denso" only, ref 101211 1032, .sold a "compact 3kg race alternator 40a 2 pin."

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
How is it wired up? Is the plug like the one shown below? If it is then you can ignore the 'P' wire but the 'IG' needs to be a switched 12V feed for voltage sensing and the 'L' is where you ground your charging light.
AltPlug.jpg

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sounds like you have it right. You say 'a replacement alternator' does that imply that a previous one has failed? They are usually very reliable so I would suspect something on the bike.
The ammeter is a source of worry to the rider, I prefer a Voltmeter and so long as it stays above 13 & a bit I am happy.