T: Fuel Tank New Project

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Erik, do you know which springs you have? To get some idea of whether there is too much spring pre-load you need to get the bike up to about its final weight and then look at the angle of the lower link. With the bike sitting on its own wheels the front of the lower link should be just below the horizontal, that is down at the front by, say 5 - 10 mm. Then when you sit on the bike and take your feet of the ground the front of the lower link should move upwards by, say, 5 - 10 mm. If it does not do that then there is too much pre-load and you can shorten the springs by about 6 mm and try again. If it really does not move significantly then my guess is that you have the wrong springs. I check the spring rate of the front spring by leaving them in their spring boxes and putting the bottom of the box on top of a piece of wood on some bathroom scales. The wood is there just to protect the scales. I then load a weight on to the top of the spring box and note how much the box has compressed. I try to do this by adding weights progressively. It does not matter if you do not know the exact weight being added as that shows up on the bathroom scales. In my case I do this by putting the top of the spring box into the ball hitch on the front of a trailer but if you have a more sophisticated system then that would be easier and better. If you have enough weight then with the 30 lbs/inch springs you should get a reduction in height/length of about 78 mm for a loading of 90lbs/41kgs.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I doubt it Chris. Perhaps removing some of the packing if needed but you are still up there with the sturdy brigade. Feedback is always useful. I recently supplied a kit to a rider in Germany who is 18 stones and he will have to try the system out first to determine whether he has the correct combination of parts.

erik

VOC Member
IMG_5818[1].JPG