Never seen one of these before

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't know Ian, it is probably the cheapest "Vincent" that you could currently buy, I see Firefly's have entered the Stratosphere.

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
Mine was sold as an Amanda engine, but as to the above, it looks like it was a compressor engine. It was very local to pass but now have no idea what to do with it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201117-204700_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201117-204700_eBay.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 71

Albervin

VOC Member
Some years ago I bought a lovely little Miller 2 stroke engine that drove a miniature compressor. I think it would have taken an hour to pump up a modern car tyre. I do have a 100cc Vincent two stroke engine that has obviously been used for Karting. I did read that Harpers sold these specifically for Karting but no idea if they are otherwise identical to Amanda engines. I often start and run the engine at rallies and it certainly draws quizzical looks here in Australia.

HRD SUPER 90

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Kart engine has different porting, wire locking all over the place etc., although they are basically the same design of engine. I’ve been slowly reducing my collection of these obscure Vincent things but have decided to keep one Kart engine and just one of the Twin cylinder Amanda engines (originally in the VOC Amanda, I sold an Amanda less engine to Dick Sherwin to restore but he never did anything with it then years later Dick gave it to the VOC).

Albervin

VOC Member
The Kart engine has different porting, wire locking all over the place etc., although they are basically the same design of engine. I’ve been slowly reducing my collection of these obscure Vincent things but have decided to keep one Kart engine and just one of the Twin cylinder Amanda engines (originally in the VOC Amanda, I sold an Amanda less engine to Dick Sherwin to restore but he never did anything with it then years later Dick gave it to the VOC).
I would be interested to see this wire locking as it is not obvious on my motor. The sprocket is the only reason I think it was used for Karting. Maybe the numbers can help?

vibrac

VOC Member
I would think a restoration of a go kart would be a worthwhile project (twin engined one of course) I am supprised there is not a VKC for old karts .... (perhaps there is)

HRD SUPER 90

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The industrial engines were used in many applications, the fitment of a sprocket doesn’t mean its a Kart engine by any means. The head is skimmed, there is wire locking, the porting is different, the carb is much bigger etc., I used to take these sort of things to VOC meetings 30 years ago, but times change.

Andy Davenport

Attachments

• E50DEF9D-E945-41F9-B6C3-5A00C50ED408.jpeg
    E50DEF9D-E945-41F9-B6C3-5A00C50ED408.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1AF095FC-1619-4BD4-9F1C-E8159F3E0D98.jpeg
    1AF095FC-1619-4BD4-9F1C-E8159F3E0D98.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 29
G

Graham Smith

Andy, did they designate them any differently on the engine number for use in karts?

HRD SUPER 90

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The numbering differs for different applications. the start of the numbering indicates capacity, 07 for the early 70cc version and 10 for the 100cc engine. The Twin cylinder is 2 singles ”back to back“ with an extension on the overhung cranks. The Harpers Kart idea was 2 separate singles, one for each rear wheel. This was in the sales literature but was found Impractical.
A 200cc twin was produced as a “bolt in” engine for flat bottom dinghies, there was the well known “rapier” lawnmower, Versatiller rotovator (in different versions) an outboard dingy version (similar to the “seagull“), small hydrovane compressor, and various other variations and uses etc.,

Attachments

• 1A86196D-E292-4673-ADB4-5DFCD9780566.jpeg
    1A86196D-E292-4673-ADB4-5DFCD9780566.jpeg
    621.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 8C5C2C0B-8B26-4BBF-92EC-7EE979E5878F.jpeg
    8C5C2C0B-8B26-4BBF-92EC-7EE979E5878F.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 27