Misc: Ignition Need Advice, can't keep an idle (intermittently) approaching or at a stop with New Amal 276's

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If the lower body gasket is for a 276 the ID will be too small and effectively block off any fuel to the pilot circuit.......... And the float height will be another one to check.

oexing

VOC Member
Yes, fuel flow could be restricted, in fuel tap, and in the idle jet blocked by dirt. Also check for good spark and sooty plug. When you see mostly dark plugs you run types that do not suit your riding. So forget any grades in handbooks and get grades that will reach temperatures to burn clean - at YOUR driving speeds. A faulty mag may be found by sniffing at the spark plug when you try to kickstart the thing unsuccessfully.

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Chris says the mag has been rebuilt and starts well,
The carb ' has also been rebuilt by a well know carb' man, Who has a good name.
He's just taking the petrol tank off and float chamber, To look see,
He lined the tank with something and flushed it through a while ago.
Cheers Bill.

oexing

VOC Member
In case he got no fuel filter on the tap he might add one. Best to have it inside the tank, not a big thing to do. Else the pilot jet can get clogged in no time. You can have brass or stainless fine filter mats and roll a cylinder from it to place inside on a small tube - like in other taps if you did not have that type already.

Vic

van drenth

VOC Member
Hello VOC Experts--need some advice

Problem:
Warm or cold idle is not reliable as I come to a stop. On a fast stop even I can experience bike just going dead-but easily re-started thereater. Sitting, the bike will idle generally fine. Trying to set up a reliable idle with New Amal 276's from Coventry

Background:
Series B (2501) with Alton 12V, BTH Mag both <3rs; new replacement 276's with new dual throttle set up and cables. I do notice that my BTH lead cases have become somewhat melted on exhaust fin (cables were to close)...I put electrical tape around the casing damage--could this be the issue as has happened around the time of my new carb install?

What I have tried:
1. Adjust mixture, 2. set throttle stops 3. new spark plugs. (B6's w .16 gap)

What should I try?

Thx so much

Mark
You should make vacuum points in the manifolds and than with vcuum pressure gauges connected
it is easy to balance both carbs. result will be one nice tickover.
Or buy one airflow meter used to adjust solex carbs.
Regards,
van Drenth JC