Misc: Everything Else MOT Outlaws LED Bulbs on Historic Vehicles

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you have a Walkernator and a 130/90 watt head lamp bulb, give them a quick flash and if they have forgotten to dip then they will quickly get the message. If it is just badly set up lights then, eventually, they might get fed up with being flashed.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi
The 6v Miller lights on my Comet were always very poor, but I wanted to keep it as original at 6v as possible.
I bought an early 6v led bulb to save some power but the beam pattern was very bad, though I could use the bike on well lit or main roads.
I have since found a newer design of 6v LED bulb now which though not as good as a 12v tungsten has an acceptable beam pattern but uses much less power.
The problem of course is that the LED light is not ideally placed in the bulb for the best beam pattern.
For my use however the led is less "watty" more reliable and good enough for the sort of riding I do and in any case the bike does not have to have an MOT anyway being a 1952 model I have owned since 1956.
Matty

Trickymicky

VOC Member
I saw this elsewhere. I'd assume it would apply to classic motorcycles too.

Attachments

• led lights.jpg
    led lights.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 32

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The way they word these things, Is not easy for me to understand,
I know I am Thick !.
But there are always Road Safety Things that could get you in trouble,
If it's dangerous, You can be Nicked for it,
You see people with only the left headlight working and it looks like a Motorcycle coming,
Instead of a Car !,

vibrac

VOC Member
Bill I think it agrees with my suggestion in post #2 you can change the whole unit
NB for some reason, probably to do with the breakup of the Balkans a couple of decades ago, and the prevalence of small arms fire, the general reference for cars with one working headlight is a "Bosnian taxi"

Trickymicky

VOC Member
The way they word these things, Is not easy for me to understand,
I know I am Thick !.
But there are always Road Safety Things that could get you in trouble,
If it's dangerous, You can be Nicked for it,
You see people with only the left headlight working and it looks like a Motorcycle coming,
Instead of a Car !,
I agree Bill, it wouldn't be the first time i've re read something like this and found that it mean't the opposite to what i'd thought.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
It has all changed again. DVSA have just issued a special notice....

You can get those LED and HID kits back out of the bin. - Until next time.

So long as your light is fairly white and there is a decent beam cut off, you should be alright.

2. Changes to current rules

From 22 March 2021 we're changing these rules so that not all motorcycles and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs.

Class 1 and 2 motorcycles

Class 1 and 2 motorcycles must not be failed for the defect 'Light source and lamp not compatible'.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

The motorcycle inspection manual will be updated shortly, and the ability to select the defect within the MOT testing service will be removed.