Misc: Everything Else MOT Outlaws LED Bulbs on Historic Vehicles

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In a 12 V system you can try the HID bulbs, extremely bright, I liked these a lot , only 35 W power used. But keep in mind, they require an ignition box for starting - which outputs 30 000 Volts !! So think hard where to place the ignition box and test the bulb socket in the reflector for high tension suitability. I once played with two HID bulbs in a rotating beacon but found out this was not a workable setup, not enough safety space around all bits so it arced within the device. Wasted time in there. We had HID for dipped beam in the Ford Capri for a while, super light - but at next MOT check the inspector advised us to take them out , warning us the typical policeman will notice the bright lights , very unlike the yellowish H 4 sets. So then we´d be illegal on the road with consequences. So sadly back to the poor H 4 . . . . .

Vic
P1030278.JPG

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Talking of Blinding, I don't know how the Police get away with their flashing lights,
I had to take the Wife's family home Christmas night, Their car went into " limp mode ".
And 2 police cars with there rears sticking out in the road,
Looking for a Car that went over the railway bridge !,
I couldn't see a thing, I don't drive at night, If I can help it.