Misc: Everything Else MOT Outlaws LED Bulbs on Historic Vehicles

G

Graham Smith

F89A6D12-31F3-4396-A7A5-AC3977332B38.jpeg

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would be interested to see what Mr Goff has to say on this....
I cant quite follow the logic if the whole unit is changed after all 12v is 12v

Kevin Emery

VOC Member
I spoke to an MOT tester. He is aware of this situation but his view is different. If your bulbs do not meet a Standard that is a matter of law not an MOT issue. The MOT'er responsibility is to test the lights, If they function properly they pass, if not they fail. He did say that LED light might fail the light distribution test for the main and dipped beams. This is because the LED is unlikely to have its light source in exactly the same place as the original fitted bulbs and would not function properly in the original reflector.
I have fitted a set of LED bulbs to my bike and find them very satisfactory. It is hard to tell the difference, in light spread, between main and dipped beams. But, I could hardly see a difference between beams with the original bulbs fitted anyway.
I wonder if anyone out there has fitted led bulbs and passed an MOT test?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I found you could sort the cutoff point with a bit of sticky tape on the outside ,
Like people did in the old days to change which side dip for France etc,
But you won't win any awards !.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
You could read the manual...

Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

I read it that you can install a complete LED headlamp.

There also seems to be a loophole that you can put an LED in a lamp designed for the old tungsten bulbs.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...s/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I found an LED bulb that had good main/dip characteristics but due to the light colour was useless on dark/wet roads and with foliage as these absorbed the light rather than reflecting it, although reflective signs were super bright hundreds of yards away so I took it out.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
In the UK vehicles over 40 years old are exempt from an M-0-T requirement. If you were stopped on the road for any reasons you might be asked if your light source was Tungsten, halogen, L.E.D., etc but I think it unlikely.