Knee replacement and getting back into the saddle

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Good point Michael,
Wonder did he get my pin number the rascal..

Many years ago we used to use a sedative anesthetic called the Dundee named after the man who developed it from Queens University Belfast.
Believe it may have been developed for emergency amputations or field surgery during conflicts.
Worked well for dental surgery and always provided us with a right good laugh.

It has some very interesting neurol side effects and due to the realistic nature of the side effects,including vivid sexual experiences, patients had to have a member of their family with them during the surgery.
We had some craic when they went under, all the normal filters turned off completely, once had a Nun call out some of the filthiest things I had ever heard.

In the interest of science of course we tried it out, administered under strictly controlled circumstances, in the union bar.

Cycled home that evening and announced to my Dad that I was off my tits and needed to go to bed.
He still recalls the story of me singing and trying to get the bike up the stairs..

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Al, I get the feeling we are talking at cross purposes, I am taking about frozen water, the type that you could skate on, or I'm my case, lose your footing on.

vibrac

VOC Member
You have a rather jaundiced opinion of cycling and cyclists, I find that difficult to understand,
Perhaps I omitted that our family did not own a car and it was 4 miles to a town and 10 miles to Saturday Pictures.
That 16th birthday was a glorious release
I must admit however that my dislike of push bikes is eclipsed by that of Buses for the same reasons (the last bus home was 4.0 pm)

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I wasn't as lucky as you Gary as the knee stuck at 55 degrees flection so had to return to theatre for a manipulation under anesthetic. I am now around 110 degrees but more needs to be achieved so I am just keeping at it with the exercise routine etc. The kick back on the BSA on a 500cc pod is considerable and enough to damage the implant so I wont be doing that any time soon. It's a love hate thing with the BSA - it spits and swears while I thrash it. I am with you on the cycle thing Peter. I often come across many of them while on jollies over the Surrey Downs so I have to remind myself that is where it all started with long bike rides across the Romney Marsh to Dungeness. I am now back on one of them but reduced to the static cross trainer - not the same.
I am not trying to score points here, or gain oneupmanship, but were you ever told why your flexion figures were so below par, I am certain that most surgeons would expect a better outcome, and although I am aware that sometimes it is necessary to go back to the theatre for manipulation to get more flexion in the knee, that is only normally if scar tissue has been allowed to build up, thereby stiffening the joint. Normally the physiotherapists do everything in their arsenal to prevent this happening. What they encourage you to do can seem brutal, and a bit cruel, but they encourage you for your own good. When they first asked me get out of bed, just a few hours after my ops, I said I can't, they said you can, and you will, they gave me a dressing gown belt to loop over my foot to pull on to relieve the weight of my legs and enable me to get to my walking frame, I thought to myself, how cruel are these bastards, but now I am so grateful they pushed me to the limit.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Yes Peter,
You cycling and extension rates. Physios/torture and the good work done and way to go do the work feel the benefits.

Me
Knee surgery ,physio, drugs...
In any order.
Enough drugs then kick backs are not a problem.
Bit like fuel, a rich mix which Vins like also helps prevent knee injury....