G: Gearbox (Twin) Kickstart Lever Splines (Twin)

tom wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all, is there anyone out there now repairing/re-splining worn kickstart lever splines on a Vincent Twin?
Ray Elgar used to repair/re-spline them but unfortunately he no longer has the tooling, someone out there must repair them ....... any idea who? or who to try?
Many Thanks in Advance

Alyson

VOC Member
Hi Tom, check out Indian Mike. I believe he does this. His website is https://www.mikesindianparts.com/VINCENT PARTS.htm I'm sure it will depend on the degree of wornness . Good luck. He does make/sell new ones in Chrome Moly and they look good on his web page. Check it out, and if you do have any luck, please post this back up here so we all know better. Thanks ! Alyson

oexing

VOC Member
Good luck with that job ! You´d first have to weld up the i.d. of the lever. Then bore it to the correct i.d. . Next step is to find a toolroom with a wire EDM machine and hand them your splined shaft for programming the spline and try for fits. Wire EDM is very accurate but certainly you´d pay an hour or two for the job - once you found a willing company at all.
I did not even try to repair the design as splines don´t go with pinch bolts for long, never did - as most here will confirm. Instead I did a BMW trick again, allright, Sturmey did same.

Vic
P1090723.JPG

Cyborg

VOC Member
I’m sure you could find a decent used one for less than what it would cost to repair yours. Lots of folks replaced them with the longer variety to clear the ill fitting pipes. Francois Grosset’s starter kits come with a replacement one, so there must be buckets of used ones around the country. Whoever is making them for Gosset could likely repair yours, but cost would likely be higher than a replacement and I’m guessing they wouldn’t be interested in the job.

tom wilson

VOC Member
Hi Tom, check out Indian Mike. I believe he does this. His website is https://www.mikesindianparts.com/VINCENT PARTS.htm I'm sure it will depend on the degree of wornness . Good luck. He does make/sell new ones in Chrome Moly and they look good on his web page. Check it out, and if you do have any luck, please post this back up here so we all know better. Thanks ! Alyson
Hi Alyson many thanks for the info, unfortunately I am in the UK and Mike is in the good old USA, I think the postage costs both here and there are so prohibitive would make it uneconomical for me to send to him, but I will keep it in mind if no luck closer to home. many thanks.

tom wilson

VOC Member
Good luck with that job ! You´d first have to weld up the i.d. of the lever. Then bore it to the correct i.d. . Next step is to find a toolroom with a wire EDM machine and hand them your splined shaft for programming the spline and try for fits. Wire EDM is very accurate but certainly you´d pay an hour or two for the job - once you found a willing company at all.
I did not even try to repair the design as splines don´t go with pinch bolts for long, never did - as most here will confirm. Instead I did a BMW trick again, allright, Sturmey did same.

Vic
View attachment 58359
Hi Oexing thanks for the reply I had found the earlier post you made some time ago: re kickstart repair that looks a fine job and a good repair, but unfortunately I do not have the machining knowledge or the tools to do it, but I like the idea. many thanks

Calle

VOC Member
EDM die Sinking or Spark Erosion, I think it's called that in English. I had splines made for a Honda kickstart pedal to fit the Vincent G83 KICKSTART SHAFT.

See

I have a friend who has promised to make the inner splins into three kicks for me. Part of a barter where I help him and he helps me.

JdZH80.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20230217004.jpg

p1CDIQ.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20230217004.jpg

EDM die Sinking​

Last edited:

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
I have a couple of Mikes kickstart and they work as well as they look. Like all Mikes parts they are great quality

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
That's good to know. I ordered a few parts myself a couple of weeks back, one being a gear change lever, so I'll post up my thoughts as well once they arrive.
I’m sure you will be happy with the parts I found this old pic of my rapide The kickstart and gear lever are both from Mike

Attachments

• 979AFF8D-D5A1-4C36-B969-30F5C0F58EE8.jpeg
    979AFF8D-D5A1-4C36-B969-30F5C0F58EE8.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 35