Misc: Charging Systems Intermittent charging?

Bobv07662

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My 50 Rapide is having an intermittent issue with a newly rebuilt Miller D6 with a PODtronics regulator. It's a dry cell, 6 volt negative ground system that does not charge on occasion. All wiring is up to snuff but for the life of me I can't pin down any repeatable reason for it not to charge. When it charges it works as expected but about once in 5 starts, no charge. I went over it today, as it did not charge when I first started it, second time, no charge. Third time...all was well and continued throughout the day. Has anyone experienced something like this before? Thanks for any insight.

brian gains

VOC Member
this may not be the same issue but; i have an Alton and can't remember who's regulator.
on occasion while riding the amp meter indicates 0 charge or dissipation. at first i thought it was a fault / disconnected wire etc.
checking the battery it was always charged, tested the regulator as per instructions and no other wiring issues.
i therefore thought this was just the regulator creating a short circuit to ground when the battery was fully charged , disconnecting the load from supply.
I should qualify all the above by saying I know sweet FA about electrics.

delboy

VOC Member
"Newly rebuilt" dynamo, rings bells with me.
Sticking brushes? Skimmed armature? Iffy connection? Could be allsorts.
'Fraid you'll have to carefully check one thing at a time to find out.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Delboy.