Imagine having a go with this

G

Graham Smith

@Russell Kemp once told me he had a wood burner. Maybe he needs one of these?

1613845940798.png

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I always thought looking as the size of some spare rear sprockets some owners fit to undriven rear brake drum then that is what they were using it for.
Maybe to cut wood to keep warm when camping at the winter Pennine rally.

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Crank lowers the saw into the ice. Cut out at least 1600 cubic feet, haul it to the ice house and cover it with the mountain of sawdust you made in the fall when cutting firewood. Then when it goes from -40 to +40 you have somewhere to hide. Few, but some, still do it at their summer cottages... not sure if there are very many left that actually use if for the ice box (fridge), but you can fill your cooler to keep the beer and fish cool. It surprising how well the ice lasts under the sawdust.

Cyborg

VOC Member
At +35 best to avoid the scotch and guzzle beer.... cold beer. You’re probably ok at your latitude, but maybe the folks in the UK might want to consider stocking up on saw blades just in case Mother Nature decides to reroute the Gulf Stream

b'knighted

VOC Member
Looking again, I don’t think it is a saw bench. There is very little access to the blade and no hint of a table for the saw. It looks to me as if the blade can be lowered to provide traction on the ice to drive the sledge around the blade forward.