ET: Engine (Twin) How Long is Your Dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’m wondering if the length of the dipstick on my C twin gearbox is different to others. After totally draining the oil and refilling it with exactly 1 litre, the new oil level on the stick is showing on the ‘0’ mark of the flat, which I understand is higher than recommended. This was before I started the engine and the same level after riding it for a few miles. Now, given that 1 litre is significantly less than the 2 pints or just under the box is supposed to take, could it be my dipstick is too long and my box is running on less oil than it should be.

Attachments

• D354A582-F690-487A-887C-68C95858D014.jpeg
    D354A582-F690-487A-887C-68C95858D014.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 27

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just measure two. One is160 mm (6.3") and the other 163mm (6.4+"). These are measured from the bottom of the conical stop near the top to then very bottom end of the dip stick. Looks like we have three different out of three:eek:

Alyson

VOC Member
Well, I did hear on the radio this morning, the "too early for a question, question" on Rock 101 with Willie, Elize, and Kim, what is shorter these days for men ? and after some amusing answers, it turns out the "shlong" will now be referred to as the "shlort", which was the correct answer. Oh, we are talking about dip
sticks aren't we ;)

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
There was a study done about 30 years ago on this subject. That one relied on measurements given by the male respondents.
Perhaps a newer study might use actual measurements taken by others. That alone could make it seem like the evolutionary process is in reverse here ( heaven forbid!)
Glen

Alyson

VOC Member
There was a study done about 30 years ago on this subject. That one relied on measurements given by the male respondents.
Perhaps a newer study might use actual measurements taken by others. That alone could make it seem like the evolutionary process is in reverse here ( heaven forbid!)
Glen
do you think a study like that would stand up ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.