ET: Engine (Twin) Godet electric starter

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting comments.......Well the facts are that cranking a "V" twin of a larger capacity is the most difficult on a starting system. It might sound retarded but if the starter ring gear was mounted directly on one of the flywheels would probably be best, apart from the possibility of metal particles contaminating the engine oil over time. So getting back to the bikes....... I appreciate the contact from PapyG although i did try to contact them several times, so not sure how to address that........Anyway, it seems to me there are some issues that should really be addressed.........As much as the engine shock absorber ESA is a continuation from the factory spec item........I don't feel it handles the cranking and then engine fire up loads well at all.........It goes from full deflection one way to the other with a sharp bang as it compresses all the springs without too much trouble. This would be better off done away with all together, and instead have a shock absorber within the clutch or a cush drive in the rear wheel hub........This leads to the next item.......Running a triplex chain.......would be far better off with a belt drive, this then reduces a huge amount of weight but more importantly it means you can run the primary dry of oil.........Starter motors do not like running in a bath of oil........I was most surprised to find this, after the total failure of a similar system done years ago with the RTV's back in the mid 1990's........I stripped the starter on this one and came up with a seal of sorts that hopefully will keep the oil passing through the outer sealed bearing.........those seals are not good enough to stop oil passing through them........And lastly......the big one........It definitely needs some form of decompressor installed on the engine.........best is a solenoid in each cylinder head that lowers the compression on cranking enough to allow the starter to spin the engine much easier when you first hit the starter button.........I did this same thing last year building an all new 1200 Norvin with Terry's later type top end kits that do in fact have these decompressor ports in the roof of the combustion chamber, and uses a simple 12 volt solenoid used in later model Harley's........without those the engine simply would not crank over well enough........Hopefully some of these ideas may prove useful.........If this bike I have here was mine, i would carry out all these mods..........Cheers.........Greg.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I run it with a new 5 lobe esa.
Very little movement, and no hard schoulder, as to say.

I broke the starter when i hit the little red button, released to soon, hit button again. Bang.
Now a little time delay made on the button. Maybe that helps.

But it cranks really good with this starter.
No valve lifter or silly HD parts.
The squish is there.
It goes like stink.

Now only to change is the riding position;
I lowered the footpegs by 2"
Needed to smaller the clutch side wide.
Managed gain 3/4" smaller.
Will have a new tank and higher seat still.

Beautiful bike, thanx to Gerry and Patrick.
IMG_20200619_092441.jpg
IMG_20200619_092408.jpg

Flo

VOC Member
One should not ignore basic theory on bolts - they should NEVER be usedto trnsfer any Force by intrados pressure. Bolts should never experience local shear or bending stresses. The bolted parts should be clamped so that friction betwenn those parts suffices to transfeer any loads - the Joint between flywhees and long crankshafts in Automobile engines being an example,

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Just reread my post and saw an error, fixed now. I wrote-
"I don't think you will find T Prince type squish bands on those Godet bikes, from Nigel's info. He is a big proponent of squish heads, but did come up with them on his 1330s."

That should have read " did not come up with them on his 1330s"
He was keen on having the builder somehow create large squish zones, but ended up with more or less standard Vincent type combustion chambers.

Glen

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The question,to me, is the starter the casualty or the cause? A return to basics, check the compresion with burette and crapulator. Had starting troubles on a race car, the answer was get it cranking before switching on the sparks. Worked like a charm.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I run it with a new 5 lobe esa.
Very little movement, and no hard schoulder, as to say.

I broke the starter when i hit the little red button, released to soon, hit button again. Bang.
Now a little time delay made on the button. Maybe that helps.

But it cranks really good with this starter.
No valve lifter or silly HD parts.
The squish is there.
It goes like stink.

Now only to change is the riding position;
I lowered the footpegs by 2"
Needed to smaller the clutch side wide.
Managed gain 3/4" smaller.
Will have a new tank and higher seat still.

Beautiful bike, thanx to Gerry and Patrick.View attachment 40981View attachment 40982
Vincent, I am intrigued by the trophies on the shelf, they look like Isle of Man trophies, I have one of the same, won by Charlie Salt, a relative of mine, sadly killed in the 1957 Senior TT whilst riding a Roland Pike tuned BSA Gold Star, virtually a works machine as Charlie worked for BSA, do you know who won the trophies that you have, you also have a nice calendar on display!

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It's great looking round other folks workshops, Dan Smith's is the best so far for me and his selection of tools are amazing mostly very old.
bananaman.

greg brillus

VOC Member
A question for PapyG..........why do these bikes still run a triplex primary chain and sprockets when they should have a belt drive..........running a starter motor in a bath of oil is not good........The boys from RTV here in Australia discovered that back in the mid 1990's........they were meant to run a belt primary but ran out of funds and stuck with the chain.........although very few bikes were made, they all suffered bad oil leaks from the starter. Also do you think these engines would crank better with a good lithium ion battery........?......cheers for now......... Greg.