Girdraulic Grease nipple fitting locations

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Last year I had my Bramptons retubed and fitted with all new bushes and spindles by Jake Robbins. I also asked him to put in grease fittings where he thought the best places were.
20160107_110718.jpg
20160107_110642.jpg
20160107_110550.jpg
20160107_110500.jpg
20160107_110413.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
Push the right side lower bushes in a little further (inboard of the friction disc's) and fit "O" rings. This will stop the grease getting to the disc's but I doubt it will hold against pressurized grease. Done this to several rebuilds on Brampton's............... works a treat.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
All those questions can only be answered by the the shop equipment.
I would use a fast spiral drill, in a lathe, after being centre drilled, running at around 800 rpm. The tricky bit is making sure the swarf is cleared, so a fast action withdrawal is important,with a relatively small peck, plus a good lubricant/coolant. Also a finger on the drill is good way of getting feedback as to what is happening at the sharp end. If you`ve not done this sort of thing before, forget it.

This article mentions a tool that pecks at 1000 times per second!

Attachments

• Engineering_Impact_Winter16.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 13

vibrac

VOC Member
You know I hear about originality a lot - plating, finish,electrical wire covering, what markings were on a miller stop light even jokes about Stevenage air in the tyres, but I never hear anyone suggest using the same 1946 engineering (worn out?) tools the bikes were made with, They were a clever lot in that corner of Hertfordshire.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Is anyone in this day and age "Really" going to ware out their spindles and bushes............I just put a few drops from an oil can onto the thrust washers, work it in and wipe off the excess. Works fine to me ......The bushes aren't that long. I grease them on assembly, and this lasts a long time. Grease and grease guns just make an awful mess. If you do ware them out, then you certainly do a "Lot" of riding ..........Replace them, It's an easy enough job.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Greg,

Some of the high mileages guys here in Vancouver could do in excess of 3 thousand miles in a summer. Seems to me that three or four years that adds up.

Eugene.

Spqreddie

VOC Member

I see the top link greaser is drilled from the top. but is much more far away from the spindle.
Can it be drilled from the bottom, closer to the spindle where there is less material?
(where I am pointing with the screwdriver in the photos)
Or it will may be interfere with the shock and steering head casting, and or no space to fit the grease gun?
I will try to find it out as soon as back in the garage.

Grease Nipples - Upper Link (1).jpeg
Grease Nipples - Upper Link (2).jpeg
Grease Nipples - Upper Link (3).jpeg
Grease Nipples - Upper Link (4).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If the screwdriver is at 3 o'clock, drilling and tapping at 4 or 5 o'clock might solve some problems, together with an angled grease fitting.