Girdraulic Grease nipple fitting locations

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
How do you set and drill a 1/8" hole in this FF14 spindle?
What is the proper drill bit or bits?
What is proper speed ?
What is proper feed technique?
View attachment 13772
All those questions can only be answered by the the shop equipment.
I would use a fast spiral drill, in a lathe, after being centre drilled, running at around 800 rpm. The tricky bit is making sure the swarf is cleared, so a fast action withdrawal is important,with a relatively small peck, plus a good lubricant/coolant. Also a finger on the drill is good way of getting feedback as to what is happening at the sharp end. If you`ve not done this sort of thing before, forget it.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If I did it , I would come in a short way either side , Rather than a long hole. Cheers Bill.
That is exactly what I did Bill.
If I'd had a drill long enough to go from one end I'm sure I would have manged to break it off in the hole. Too scary!

craig

VOC Member
I am now thinking about Brampton spindles.......smaller diameter........not as easily changed out.......other ideas?
FT218draw2.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
I still think we had the best idea in the Seventies use plastic bushes in the Girdraulics, and as plastics an plactic composites have improved since then, who knows what could be accomplished? But as I was saying earlier its all fashion....

craig

VOC Member
I thougt Bramptons had cups for oiling, if so use some ZX1, a metal treatment, works wonders.
No, not these Bramptons, nothing at all.......except I can grease one spindle thru the speedo mount nipples , so my plan on that FT218 is to drill the speedo mount bolt and add a grease fitting. The other three spindles I thought drilling would be cleanest way.

craig

VOC Member
How are you going to stop grease getting onto the friction discs of the damper........
I am not sure at this point how to address this grease/bushing/damper junction......but I see a number of Brampton forks with grease fittings at all the spindles.
I am hoping one of the "greaseable Brampton" owner/user could address this.
Girderforkgreasenipples.jpg

A_HRD

VOC Member
Craig,
Only the Series A Bramptons had grease-nipples, but they didn't have bushes.
The Series B Bramptons were bushed (presumably with oilite?) so had no grease-nipples. (A squirt with oil every now and again was deemed sufficient).
There were lots of other A/B Brampton differences too - but that isn't relevant to this thread.
Peter B
Bristol, UK.