Girdraulic Grease nipple fitting locations

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Here are mine DSC00027.JPG DSC00029.JPG DSC00030.JPG DSC00031.JPG DSC00032.JPG DSC00033.JPG DSC00034.JPG

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
On my bike ( open D ) : upper link, one nipple on the rear spindle behind the steering damper knob, on the front spindle , one nipple central pointing up.
Lower link, as you say , the eccentrics have nipples at 8 o'clock ( right side) and 4 o'clock ( left side ) viewed from the spindle ends. Front spindle one nipple central on rear of link pointing slightly down.
Hope this helps.
Mac

Take care on the top link if you have a Shadow Speedo. The bracket will swipe the grease nipple off.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Take care on the top link if you have a Shadow Speedo. The bracket will swipe the grease nipple off.
Good point although in my case the speedo is in the headlight. This would explain the different position on Bruce's picture since it looks as though he has a 5 ins speedo

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Thank you bmetcalf and macvette very much for taking the time and effort in taking these pictures. Very much appreciated.
Cheers
Brian

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I must be lucky, mine has been that way for ~29 years, although I was being advised at the time by Breeze Knees Donovan, who had already added them to his Shadow.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
On FF1 if you put the nipple in the middle, it needs to be as far forward as it can be (well in front of the spindle centre-line) so that the grease gun will clear the head-nut even if a corner is at the front. In Mcvette's second picture you can see the possible problem.
Tatty

clevtrev

VOC Member
On FF1 if you put the nipple in the middle, it needs to be as far forward as it can be (well in front of the spindle centre-line) so that the grease gun will clear the head-nut even if a corner is at the front. In Mcvette's second picture you can see the possible problem.
Tatty
Not if you use an extension nipple. You can actually use it as a safety device by locating it just clear of the flat, and adjusting the nut to suit, so that if (and they do) the nut loosens, the nipple will stop it getting too loose. Plus it gives you a visual of any movement of the nut. Here`s a selection of nipples.
nipples.jpg

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I don't think any one has mentioned the method that allot of guys in Vancouver use. The spindle is drilled with a small diameter drill bit, cross drilled at the bushings and very small flush grease nipple is added to the spindle end .

I removed my forks with this set up and and checked every detail of them. I found no significant wear in the high movement area.

I will add some photos when I am back in the work shop.