Girdraulic Grease nipple fitting locations

Brian Thompson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello,
Could someone direct me in the right direction please in regards to fitting grease nipples to the links on the
Girdraulic front suspension?
I tried to find this information on the site but I must be using the wrong terminology.
In "Know thy Beast" E.M.G Stevens says to fit nipples to the FF3 on the eccentric ends at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock. I get that the part. Its at the spindle side Id like to know how many and there location please?
Thank you
Cheers Brian

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello,
Could someone direct me in the right direction please in regards to fitting grease nipples to the links on the
I tried to find this information on the site but I must be using the wrong terminology.
In "Know thy Beast" E.M.G Stevens says to fit nipples to the FF3 on the eccentric ends at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock. I get that the part. Its at the spindle side Id like to know how many and there location please?
Thank you
Cheers Brian
Dear Brian,
I think that on my Rapide there is a single greas nipple fitted to the forward part of the FF3. It is central so that the FF3 is filled by the grease gun before grease actually gets pushed into the bushes. If your FF3 does not already have a hole you might point your usual grease gun at the FF3 and find the spot that allows easiest access. e.g. If you wanted to fit the nipple at the rear choose a point where the front guard doesn't make it difficult to get a straight line fit for the grease gun.
My own preference is to centre drill the spindles ends in the lathe to a depth that equates to half way down the bush and then make a small cross drilling at 90º. This gives very easy access with a grease gun and the grease is fed directly to the bushes.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hello,
Thank you
Cheers Brian
What type of bushes do you intend to use??
I have found that using standard oillite or phosphor bronze bushes cause heavy picking up on the stainless steel spindles no matter what grease you use.

What I have found to work is moly impregnated nylon bushes that only need lubricating with moly grease once a year. both Roger and I have used them for many years with virtually no wear apparent. People will tell you that nylon bushes are hygroscopic, and expand over time causing every thing to tighten up. Yes that was true years ago when they first came out, but things have moved on, and the ones I got from Clever Trevor are certainly not Hygroscopic , and are the bees Knees.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
Plastic bushes are no longer available at Spares Company I believe. There was it seems no demand,I don't think they were impregnated with moly but I certainly prefered them

highbury731

VOC Member
What type of bushes do you intend to use??
I have found that using standard oillite or phosphor bronze bushes cause heavy picking up on the stainless steel spindles no matter what grease you use.

What I have found to work is moly impregnated nylon bushes that only need lubricating with moly grease once a year. both Roger and I have used them for many years with virtually no wear apparent. People will tell you that nylon bushes are hygroscopic, and expand over time causing every thing to tighten up. Yes that was true years ago when they first came out, but things have moved on, and the ones I got from Clever Trevor are certainly not Hygroscopic , and are the bees Knees.
The Clever One also makes martensitic stainless spindles, which cope better with bronze or nylon bushes

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Thank you for your responses.
I have the bushes and stainless spindles and stainless eccentrics from VOC spares. I'll get some of the drilled spindles from V3 for the next set of forks. I dropped off the yokes for reaming today and I thought I'd get the grease nipples fitted while there at the shop. Thank you again for your advice.
Cheers
Brian

macvette

Non-VOC Member
On my bike ( open D ) : upper link, one nipple on the rear spindle behind the steering damper knob, on the front spindle , one nipple central pointing up.
Lower link, as you say , the eccentrics have nipples at 8 o'clock ( right side) and 4 o'clock ( left side ) viewed from the spindle ends. Front spindle one nipple central on rear of link pointing slightly down.
Hope this helps.
Mac

bmetcalf

VOC Member
These show where mine are:
1216150758.jpg 1216150759.jpg 1216150800.jpg 1216150801.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
Please note that on 'D's the lubrication on the forks was via oil caps not grease nipples. Clearly at that time Vincents thought that oil would be preferable to grease.