G: Gearbox (Twin) Gear Teeth

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello, make sure the layshaft is the correct way round , if it is reversed the box will stiffen up when the cover is bolted up. John.
Layshaft is the correct way around. The problem is the G6 gear in that it has 19 teeth, noticeably bigger than the usual G6 that has 18 teeth. Being larger in diameter it binds heavily against G7, hence the notchiness.

vibrac

VOC Member
so I guess you think there should be a G7 with 28 teeth but the chart MO12 shows G6 with 18 teeth on all ranges of gears (including the double backlash G6/2) except Close ratio with 19 with a G6/1 (which I suspect is what you have) but ALL show G7 with 29 I think that cannot be correct as has been said I dont think the close ratio was ever on general release so you have a one off thats looking for a partner, perhaps someone some where has a G7 with 28 teeth wondering why he has so much slop....

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Yes Ed all the spacers are in their correct positions. Yes Charlie, I'm begining to think that the G6/1 gear is the problem in that it is incorrectly made. Putting just G6/1 and its mate G7 in the box on their shafts and the binding nothiness is there. Leaving one out and fitting up all the other gears and all is good.
Perhaps you should get out the Plasticine and a magnifying glass- we Colonials like to keep things simple!

john998

VOC Member
OM12 shows G6/1 with 19 teeth but G7 gear still has 29 teeth, so the G6/1 must have been cut on the same blank as the G6 gear. As far as it is possible to know G6/1 was never produced.
Perhaps you have a home produced gear, or a factory experimental item. John.

john998

VOC Member
Should have asked, has this gear box ever been assembled before? Or are you assembling it from parts?
John.