G: Gearbox (Twin) G96 Clutch Rod Extend Out Of G3 Shaft

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What is the range of acceptable extension of G96 pushrod out of G3 shaft?

20230131_ClurchRodProtrude1.jpg

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Take the clutch cover off and look at the adjuster in the middle of the outer plate, If it is screwed all the way in then undo it most of the way. Then offer up the kick starter cover and see if it will go fully in, If not then is the adjuster for the bottom of the clutch lever screwed in all the way? If it is then unscrew as far as is sensible and try again., If it still wont go all the way home then you need to shorten the pushrod. If you do that then get the cut end cherry red and quench in water. You look to have an electric starter fitted but that should not change any of the above. It is no good asking for an exact figure as who knows what has happened to the bike in the last 70 years?

craig

VOC Member
G1 cover and G3 shaft seem to have fixed repeatable dimensions.
I am trying to avoid my hunt and peck research and start with a known dimension for G96 extension.

ClutchRollerDimension2.jpg

Last edited:

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I just spent half an hour looking for the specs you want as I've made a few clutch rods myself, and
cannot locate my drawing. I do recall Dan Smith recommended I use a 6 mm roller rather than 1/4".
Will have another look tomorrow.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
My notes were made when I was utilizing a needle style roller in between the rods, and changed to a
6mm ball as recommended by Dan Smith. Thus my measurements showed, from the left side rod to the
right: 5 7/8" rod...5/8" roller...5 13/16" rod. Unfortunately I also have a note that says the right hand rod may
be 5 15/16". I was boring a hole into the clutch arm initially and decided to re-work the plot with hardened
rods-roller, etc. and recall the plot being iffy to measure. You can put a dob of Stellite (or other hardened rod)
on the clutch arm and harden the ends of the push rods themselves. I believe one wants about a four point
difference (Rockwell hardness) between the mating surfaces. I had better luck with the round 6mm spacer than
I did with the roller I recall. I also used the Norman Walker push rod centering bearing.