A: Oil Pipework Fibre or Dowty washer?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A few years ago, a UK member organized a group buy. Maybe this and an advert in MPH could trigger the same.
If your refering to the cometic gaskets then a group buy may reduce the postage cost slightly, but the big killer is UK customs & import duty charges which can add another 25% plus by the time you put the carrier handling charge in the equation which makes for expensive gaskets. I have been stung with that when buying other stuff from USA / Canada.

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just a reminder that Cometic gaskets can be re-used 3 times and seal perfectly. They are really the best gasket available.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
You lads don't half get me on my knees crawling around trying to take photos of things I did long ago.

"A" RAP TANK PRESENTLY OFF BEING PAINTED MAROON OLD HARRY HAD IT MAROON TOO WHEN HE FITTED THE HONDA TANK TO IT FIRST OFF, THEN PAUL ADAMS DID SUCH A NICE JOB OF "A" COMET THANK THAT SHE INDOORS WANTED HARRY'S TANK LOOKING NICE. THREE MONTHS NOW BUT NEW TRANSFERS KEPT CRINKLING UP SO HAVING SPECIAL VENAL ONES MADE.
SO MOUNTING RUBBERS UP SIDE DOWN SHOWING OFF THE OMEGA STYLE CLIPS

IMG_3298.jpeg

"A" COMET OIL PUMP BANJO BOLTS WIRED TOGETHER SIMPLY. NOTICE HEXAGON SIZE REDUCED FROM 7/16" WHIT SPANNER TO 5/16" WHIT SPANNER MUCH EASIER FOR FITTING, HOME MADE OF CAUSE JUST LIKE MY KIDS.

IMG_3299.jpeg

"B" RAP G/BOX SUMP PLUG WIRE LOCKED & MAIN L.O.PUMP SUCTION DRILLING WITH A 3/8"WHIT THREADED SNAP HEAD SCREW. SORRY NOT VERY CLEAR.

IMG_3302.jpeg

"B" RAP ENGINE SUMP WIRED WITH MORSE WIRE TUCKED UP BEHIND C/CASE BOLT.

IMG_3308.jpg

THE OTHER EXAMPLE I HAD IN MIND WAS THE REAR OF THE PETROL TANK OMEGA CLIP BUT NEEDED TO RELEASE FRONT OF SEAT BUT WILL DO THAT ANOTHER TIME

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Ingenious Mr Bond, l mean Bowden as in cable not Morse which prompted an altogether chiefly different inspection. Marcus l am indebted to both your knees and photographic skills and commend you for your efforts principally on my behalf. The use of a clip albeit omega, R or otherwise has often been uppermost in my mind whilst savouring a good malt after fitting a tank, petrol/gas ( not Sherman/Tiger/T34 ) prior to fitting the dual seat to a B/C series machine but l have dismissed said idea on the grounds of potential damage to the vinyl cover of said seat, having then consumed said malt, pondered on considerations and duly reached for the lockwire whilst musing "some other time". As for cometic ( please spell checker dont feck with the spelling during posting ) gasket costs, importation duties, vat and any other government imposed levies enquiries will be ongoing. Yours, enlightened and up to his elbows in afterbirth and other s, muck in West Wales...........

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Just a reminder that Cometic gaskets can be re-used 3 times and seal perfectly. They are really the best gasket available.
reused 3 times? No - at last count my drive and timing covers have been off 11 times and the cometics are still sealing just fine. The trick I think is not to overtighten them.

M

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Just for your benefit handsome Old Bill from West Wales a more convincing Omega Morse inner cable locking wire. They get neater as I get older. This is on a Comet that has been sold to a member in Kent.
bananaman.

IMG_3319.jpeg

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Marcus my handsome as you cornish boys would say, that is a truly lovely lovely solution to an age old series B & C conundrum, easy to remove yet secure and harmless to the seat cover. l am now both envious of a Comet owner in kent and enlightened of West Wales..........