A: Oil Pipework Fibre or Dowty washer?

Nigel Spaxman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Marcus, as you were on the morse cable ie lockwire but still intrigued re the omega clips? Yours only slightly enlightened of West Wales..........
I thought about what Marcus meant by the Omega clips. That would be a piece of wire shaped like the greek letter Omega. You can insert one end of the Omega in a hole in one bolt, one in another and it will lock both. I have my tank bolts lockwired togehter because you can't have those tight. Whenever I take the tank off I need new wire. If I had his clip I could re use it.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Bruce, thanks for that, unfortunately all l get is a blank page?
Was it totally blank? If not, did you click on the orange rectangle?

The omega clip may be an external snap ring, similar to the twin clutch shoe pivot clips.

craig

VOC Member
CometicSet1.jpg

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Bruce, l did indeed click on the orange rectangle and f, nothing happened, oh poo! Craig, thank you for the information which both fascinates and intrigues me, however l have but one question which is, wait for it, if fitted dry ie no grease or oil on mating surfaces do said gaskets stick and then self destruct or merely separate from said surfaces in one piece? If the latter is the case l can indeed see some of my state pension going to a worthy cause as the arthritic hands are fed up with faffing about with poor fitting gaskets, sealants and my short mental fuse is often in need of a reset after finding oil seeping from whence it should not. Clearly l am not the only person a tad confused by the omega ring, even a google search failed to clear the brain fog that had descended like a cloud before my very eyes. When l made an enquiry with a son who is employed in the motor trade he suggested that perhaps the said ring answer might be found on one of the various adult sights that infest the internet? l have therefore decided to await a definitive answer from ringed of Devonport, over to you monsieur Bowden. Yours cosmetically enlightened of West Wales at an unearthly hour thanks to spring lambing time, oh the joys............

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Old Bill, the Cometic gaskets are just what we need. They don't stick and can be used over and over with no issues. There must be some limit, but if one has their timing cover off and on that often, there are bigger problems involved.

When I installed my timing cover gasket, I renewed the rubber seals for the cam spindle oil feeds because I had been using only Hylomar for that joint and didn't want to risk leaks between the spindle end and the rubber seal, due to compression.

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Graham, Bruce, Craig and not forgetting Greg, thank you all, a cloud has been lifted and l have seen the light and hopefully no bloody oil leeks! So..... how do l get hold of said gaskets in the UK ( well Wales which is sort of the uk ) Yours shivering on a hillside in West Wales..............