A: Oil Pipework Fibre or Dowty washer?

Vinnie Boy

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Has anyone tried a Dowty washer instead of fibre washer 448 where the T30AS oil filter assembly screws into the oil tank. I don't have one to hand to make a judgment . It could be an upgrade giving a more positive location.

Thank you, V B.

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’m a newcomer to Vincents but I’ve started using Dowty washers on my Rap banjos without a problem (yet). I don’t think I’d hesitate to use one on the connection to the oil tank when the time comes but I as I implied, I have little experience and I may well be shot down by our more experienced members.

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
l have been using dowty washers for years without any problems or oil leaks for that matter! They can be used several times over before you start to get a mist around the joint which basically means time for a change. On the rocker feed pipes fit M6 dowtys instead of the copper washers but retain the fibre washers between heads and pipes for an oil tight joint. Buy on ebay in bulk for the best deals. Yours oil tight of West Wales.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
..instead of the copper washers use Cometic gaskets, not included at this point in the kit, they must be ordered separately. I am also a convert to Dowty washers wherever possible.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
The French Dowty seals I find better as the rubberized portion covers over the steel washer further or make my own style with an "O"ring in-cased in a very thin S/S or aluminum parted off shallow pipe rings. Most of my oil quills are undercut in the lathe and an"O"ring fitted, same as sump plugs. All being drilled across the flats to fit a short length of s/s Morse control cable bent in such a manner as to clip behind something utilizing the tension in a tightening direction. Omega style clips I find useful for wiring pairs of bolts like the rear bolts on petrol tanks or under series "A" tanks. It is far easier to re-wire things up again. Cometic gaskets I consider very expensive when lapped surfaces are done to both sides a paper joint or a smidgen of sealant does an equally good job. My rocker caps have been "O"ringed since before leaving the H.M.Dockyard Devonport 1968.
bananaman.

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Bruce, thanks for that, unfortunately all l get is a blank page? Marcus, l understood everything up to the morse control cable and omega clips? Any chance of some pictures? Like yourself l can cope with gaskets, sealants etc but they can be time consuming and these days l would sooner ride than work so if these cosmetic gaskets save me workshop time like dowty washers, french, english or whatever l could well be interested. As for being "o" ringed since you before you left HM Dockyard Devonport l cant say l am surprised! Yours puzzled and braced for a salty reply of West Wales..................

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Marcus, as you were on the morse cable ie lockwire but still intrigued re the omega clips? Yours only slightly enlightened of West Wales..........