Misc: Charging Systems Electrical Help: Rectifier Short

1RedVincati

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi so recently imported a bike "VINCATI" from AUS my late fathers and when i connected battery leads to new battery (its been sitting about 6 years) two of the connecting battery wires were red one went to head light which is the brain and one went to rear lights i figured they were hot or positive wires but they were neg ground wires and melted a ground wire and blew a fuse.
So I replaced wire and followed all wires and got familiar with wire loom everything works light, horn, blinkers but when i plug in rectifier from generator it sparks and pulls from amp meter when is nt running is it possible I shorted it out ? where do i get a new one.
Thanks for an help

Attachments

• IMG_1158 (1).jpg
    IMG_1158 (1).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 38

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You do not have a rectifier as that is a dynamo, that looks like a JG regulator, available from Dave Lindsey I think, BUT

Are you sure you haven't got the battery the wrong way round, everything will still work the same until you try coupling it to the charging system.

What you need to do is run it with the battery uncoupled and determine the negative and positive coming out of the regulator and couple the battery to suit that.

You should have a power wire and the engine and regulator body itself itself will be the the ground

Last edited:

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
BEFORE you insert smoke into your bike use a digital multi thingy whatsit. Use this harmless 9v device to seek out the flow diagram of the bike. Custom made bikes and electics can be a worry and you have combined the two. If it was me... I would pay a qualified electrician to sort it out. I had my B Rapide completely re-wired and giving better lights, charge etc. for only $240 in Australia. Better than a fire in the hold.

1RedVincati

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
UPDATE
I ran the battery connections in reverse Positive to frame Neg to starter main headlight and low and behold everything worked perfect no hot wires and amp meter didn't move so not drawing charge from any where its not meant to also the starter motor is turning in correct forward not backwards and engaging I had figured the throws were ceased after sitting for so long not that it was turning in reverse.
I have learned so much about the Bike its been good in a way and realize I still have plenty to learn and I'm very grateful for the help you have given me !
I have over the passed few wks replaced the oil and filters and will be ready to fire it up (fingers crossed) this wk end for the first time very excited.

Stephen.