Dvla fiasco

David Wardingley

Forum User
VOC Member
Talking of the DVLA fiasco,
On The 26th May I sent documents to the DVLA to get a V5 for a recently completed NORVIN. The number was to be age related. A number of weeks passed and the paper work was returned as being incomplete. The official had ringed in red a bit of the form relating to commercial vehicles which was obviously left blank and the date of manufacture which actually was filled in with the correct info. With help from the builder of the said Norvin the paper work was returned to the DVLA and I’m still waiting!!!!!!!! It’s now August although admittedly it is still the same year so come on get back to work DVLA . The winter will arrive soon enough!!!!
Have fun
David W

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Sometime late March the DVLA went to operating on a skeleton staff and their website said to only send paperwork for essential workers and emergency vehicles only. This was the case until the end of June when they started to reopen with their website saying there will be delays. You can imaging the size of the backlogue and I guess they will prioritise things like ownership change and drivers licence renewals first and age related applications will not be a priority. In saying that I know a Vincent owner who posted their application as soon as the DVLA reopened and received their V5C a few days ago and so took 6 weeks. Before covid this usually took 3 weeks.
The longest record I know of is it took an owner 7 months to get an age related reg and that was a couple of years ago before the Covid 19 problem.

How did you describe the bike on the forms, i.e. Norton or Norvin? As Norvin is not a recognised manufacturer to the the DVLA then that may be causing problems.

Please note I'm not defending the DVLA as I find them an extremely frustrating organisation to deal with and I'm not sure their staff know their own rules half the time.
Simon