G: Gearbox (Twin) Double backlash

Garth Robinson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think that bit of butchery was suggested in a Bruce Main Smith book on Vincents.Punches,club hammers and stilsons were all that a lot of us could afford then,worse luck.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would have thought it was cheap talk ?, There was a lot of it about back then,
Can't see one blow, As we were told, Would get the inside bit out clean ?,
So was probably cleaned up with a grinder ?, Or a few more Blows !!.

vibrac

VOC Member
Well luckily I now have my own air grinder so I dont have to keep an eye out for dear old Mr Spratley (the harassed apprentice supervisor) so it looks like all those years ago I took out alternate toofs inside both ends of the double 3rd-4th gear it was along time before Neville wrote and even before I joined the VOC or met Ron Kemp! I wonder where I read it up?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Well it was in Paul Richarson's book in the racing section but I certianly knew about it very early on. Possibly in 'Tuning for Speed' as well.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The early 900 bevel drive Ducati's had alternate half height dogs, I think the theory was they would slide into each other like a ramp, what in fact happened is I heard if you tried to change gear too fast they bounced off the half dogs and catastrophe ensued with broken gears everywhere, the fix was to grind the off the half dogs and everything was fine, which of course made them double backlash gears.

Friends got a couple cheap ones with blown boxes because of this.