DIY Powder Coating

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
An aftermarket side stand is about the only thing on a Vincent I would powder coat.......To me it is just "Too heavy" a coating to use on motorcycle parts. The available paints these days are pretty hard to beat.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I don’t think I’ve ever powder coated a Vincent part. I did the Triumph side covers mainly because my painting area was covered in powder. Although.... speaking of side stands, the cover will probably survive better when the thing snaps off and the bike falls over. I do like using powder coating for small bits like engine plates. Other than that, not really a big fan... wouldn’t get a frame powder coated and the mess drives me nuts.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I just thought it might be handy, Never seen it before,
I have never used it , But Ron had some proper powder coat done, Very cheap ??.
Sounds like I should have kept it to my self, Like the Wife is always telling me !.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I had my primary cover done, 3 times, problems caused by the oil in the slightly porous casting leaching out in the baking process, not reccommended for used casting unless they are die cast.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I just thought it might be handy, Never seen it before,
I have never used it , But Ron had some proper powder coat done, Very cheap ??.
Sounds like I should have kept it to my self, Like the Wife is always telling me !.
Powder coating definitely has it’s place and always interesting to see what other folks are up to.... just all opinions anyway. If I spent the money to buy the kit and keep making a colossal mess with it, it must be useful?? I do like the finish you get when things go the way they are supposed to. And Bill... if you kept things to yourself, this place just wouldn’t be the same.
Your contributions are always appreciated....

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I had my primary cover done, 3 times, problems caused by the oil in the slightly porous casting leaching out in the baking process, not reccommended for used casting unless they are die cast.
Sounds like my Comet cylinder muff. the thing is like an Oilite bushing. I think if you baked it beforehand for about a month, it probably would have been ok.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Mate, Good one :D.

Not sure your right, But !.

I remember the late John Dathen , West London,
Saying The black powder coating He had done, Was a different black !! to the other black paint on His bike,
Now I am Colour Blind, But I know what he meant,
So you have to be careful where you put it, Not too close ? to another type ?.
Cheers Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Although I do some powder coating, I haven’t spent any time delving into matching colours. There are lots of different shades available now, so someone who is good at it could probably get “reasonably“ close? You can also wet sand and buff the powder coating to improve the finish, but doubt you could get it to the point where it was indistinguishable from the paint next to it. My Comet frame, tank, and seat cowl are all painted with black epoxy, but the belly pan is black powder coat in hopes of slowing down the gravel rash from the front tire. Far enough away from the paint that you can’t tell... not that it matters at all. The ocular trauma caused by all the Japanese, German, and Italian parts will probably prevent anyone from noticing the difference.