DIY Powder Coating

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Although he achieved what I would describe as limited success, I am struggling to understand why it is necessary to thoroughly clean and degrease, if you are then going to evenly coat the surface with WD40, isn't that an oily petrochemical product, I really cannot see how it could promote good adhesion.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Years ago WD40 was very explosive , I used to start cars by squirting it down the Carb' !,
But I think they have detuned it a bit ?,
Be careful putting it in the Oven !.
Where would you get the Powder ?.
Just a bit of Fun.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I first discovered WD40 over 40 years ago, I had always previously used Plus Gas, back then WD40 went under the pseudonym of Rocket, when I enquired why I was told it was literally rocket fuel, I have no idea of the veracity of that information, seems a little unlikely to me.

vibrac

VOC Member
It would seem a good way to obtain a durable undercoat I would be interested to see what a coat of black paint would add to the coverage and durability I guess for situation where coloured hardware and small components are concerned (eg nuts) it would be a good option on its own.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I have suspicions that WD 40 is not the best way to ensure adhesion between the powder coat and the metal. The chaps who do my work blast clean everything, then get the part a little bit warm and use an electrostatic gun to apply the powder and then bake it to a temperature at which the powder melts. The are very fussy to prevent any contamination of the metal before applying the powder.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I thought it might be a Gun ?.
Probably AR15. They are banned here. Also not allowed to have rocket launchers or grenade launches either! What is this world coming to? I do powder coating and can’t imagine WD40 helping with adhesion. Yes it works to I to hold the powder in place before baking, but can’t imagine that all of slippery things are baked off completely. Egg whites might work better?

edit... while baking at that temperature would likely burn off most of the WD ingredients and the residue should have likely lost any of it’s slippery qualities, I don’t think the powder coating would allow it to burn off completely. There is also the likelihood that the outgassing would make the final finish less than desirable.
. 211EF62A-A249-4FF7-82C0-FB0DBD560BE8.jpeg

Last edited:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I probably shouldn't write this about a youtube video featuring a part from an AR15 assault rifle with a 5-gallon bucket filled with spent shells in the background, and made by someone who well might have been in Washington DC last week, but that powder coating looks like crap. An etching primer followed by a spray paint certainly would adhere as well as a layer of plastic melted over (and contaminated by) a film of WD40. And it would look a lot better.