"D" seat mod

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
At last a D with a better looking seat, above, anyone got one to sell me PLEASE either like his or one I can get modified! (Photograph of the modified seat below in post #4. Ed)
I was planning on putting a strap on like some Triumphs to break up the long bare D seat.
Kerry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Normski

Non-VOC Member
At last a D with a better looking seat, above, anyone got one to sell me PLEASE either like his or one I can get modified !
I was planning on putting a strap on like some Triumphs to break up the long bare D seat.
Kerry.
Kerry, you would need to cut off the rear frame hoop to fit a seat this long. It’s the one I sent up to you a year or so ago, it didn’t suit me then with a more pronounced step in it but I’ve since had it altered and ‘tis much better for me now.

kerry

VOC Member
I did wonder, I saw another one that was similar and on MY D years ago when owned in Wales fitted without cutting the rear hoop which I don't want to do, I may just put on a strap, really like my D and fitting a front Avo on it this weekend, just want it to look better. thanks, Kerry.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I've moved some posts to a "D" seat thread and posted a snip of the modified "D" seat here.
D seat.jpg

kerry

VOC Member
Appreciate the move, thank you. May help me get another seat to try and modify, surely others must have done visual alterations to D seats that over the years ? searching google MPH etc I did not find any
Kerry.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I seem to remember that Robert Watson made some nice alterations to a D seat, a bit narrower at the front to make the height of the seat a bit more manageable, it also looked a lot nicer, having said that, I have a Leighton recovered D seat, and a lowered AVO coil over shock on my D Comet and I find it comfortable enough, and height wise quite manageable, and I am short!

kerry

VOC Member
Peter, Thank you, appreciated, I have fitted the latest Avo rear coil over which has lowered the bike about 1,1/2" I am 5'7" and can just sit with both feet virtually flat on the ground. I am fitting a front one too this weekend, Attached is my bike with it's previous owner, his seat looks good, I wish I could get it back on this bike, no idea where it went,
I may just try a triumph style strap which will break up the long visual look. Kerry.

Attachments

• D Hotten 1984 pic 1 (2) seat !.jpg
    D Hotten 1984 pic 1 (2) seat !.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 35