Cross Winds

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Other points that could cause that feeling, check the wheel alignment, and the rear chain tension........either of these will make a difference, and also if the rear swingarm is loose for whatever reason, this too will make the rear end give a strange feeling when riding........Then there's steering head bearings, and so on.........So quite a few things could add to this feeling when riding.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I am using michelin tyres on my comet and run 34 rear and 30 front. If/when the tyre pressures drop by more than 4 psi at either end I can really feel the handling going off.

If its the front that has lost pressure the bike really 'pushes' or understeers in corners.
If its the rear thats lost pressure then the back end feels like it moving about - sort of squishy - in corners

Oh - I weigh in at 12 stone

Last edited:

Bobv07662

VOC Member
When I first started to ride my C Rapide I used that same low pressure rear tire reccomendation in the riders handbook. It rode terribly! Excessive rear slip angles and " chine walking" at speed. Raised the rear pressure up to 28 and all has been well for almost a year.
Perhaps that old English air was heavier? :)

Robert Watson

VOC Member
No the old English tyres were heavier! Much stiffer side walls and much harder rubber. New soft compounds and fabrics require more pressure. When riding two up with luggage on my B with 300-20 speedmaster and 350 - 19 roadrunner I ran 30 - 32 in the front and about 32 - 34 in the rear.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
We seem to be repeating facts here. Perhaps @nigsey could report back if increasing the pressure in his tyres has helped, or whether he has found that the problem(s) was due to any of the things Greg suggested?

nigsey

VOC Member
We seem to be repeating facts here. Perhaps @nigsey could report back if increasing the pressure in his tyres has helped, or whether he has found that the problem(s) was due to any of the things Greg suggested?
All of the replies have been very helpful thank you gentlemen, I would never have guessed the problem could be something to do with insufficient tyre pressure. I will certainly put more air in as suggested and will report back but not before the weather has improved, it’s blowing a hoolie here and too windy to ride, higher tyre pressures or not.

Albervin

VOC Member
On a Vincent with standard suspension there is no great need to raise the tyre pressures as you do with modern bikes. This is because the weight of the passenger and/or luggage is not directly transferred to the rear suspension or rear wheel. A fully sprung Vincent (Series D) is a different matter. Start with 30 front and 32 rear and adjust from there. A good test is to inflate tyres, go for a decent ride and immediately check pressures when parked. If the pressures have increased by more than 10% then the original pressures are wrong.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The wind, that's what I said at first !,
I look at a website on Bird watching, And they said how bad it was up there on that day.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
On a Vincent with standard suspension there is no great need to raise the tyre pressures as you do with modern bikes. This is because the weight of the passenger and/or luggage is not directly transferred to the rear suspension or rear wheel. A fully sprung Vincent (Series D) is a different matter. Start with 30 front and 32 rear and adjust from there. A good test is to inflate tyres, go for a decent ride and immediately check pressures when parked. If the pressures have increased by more than 10% then the original pressures are wrong.
On air hooks?
Alyn?

oexing

VOC Member
Air hooks made by Siemens - an old joke here about that giant company.
"If Siemens knew what Siemens knows - they´d be unbeatable ! "

Vic