Cross Winds

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It was quite windy on my ride out today on my standard C Rap and I had quite a few very dodgy moments due to cross winds. It gave a sensation like the rear end was sliding from under me, not a pleasant feeling and certainly not something I’ve noticed anywhere near as much on a modern bike with a fairing. Is this a common experience with Vincents?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Can't say I have had that, But you get more wind up there ?,
But I won't use high tyre pressures, Even when racing, I find it makes the Bike too nervous,
I only use 26 lb front 30 rear, Just myself on the Bike.

What tyres do you use, Vincents like a ribbed front , If you can get one.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Was it Vic Willoughby who rode an early Prince to Glasgow and back and reported no effect from crosswinds?

nigsey

VOC Member
Can't say I have had that, But you get more wind up there ?,
But I won't use high tyre pressures, Even when racing, I find it makes the Bike too nervous,
I only use 26 lb front 30 rear, Just myself on the Bike.

What tyres do you use, Vincents like a ribbed front , If you can get one.
Hi Bill. Avon Speedmaster Mk2 3.00s20 front and Avon SM Mk2 3.5-19 on the rear. Pressures are 26Ib in front and 20Ib rear.

vibrac

VOC Member
I noticed when I had a solo seat on the Comet it was more affected by side winds... go figure

nigsey

VOC Member
The rear tyre is far too soft. It will squirm in good conditions let alone windy ones.

You also risk ripping the valve out of the inner tube if the tyre creeps.
Thanks for that NS, I’ve gone with what the rider‘s handbook recommend, what pressure would you recommed? Squim is a very apt description.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It depends on your weight. The heavier you are the higher the pressure you will require. Try 26psi for starters and perhaps increase if needs be.

The modern SM Avons have a much more flexible sidewall compared to those available when the Vincent handbook was written, so you cannot go by the book anymore.

I use RoadRiders so I cannot advise a good SM pressure for you and your bike. Try sitting on the bike and ask a knowledgeable friend to judge whether the tyre has squashed when you climb aboard. This with the bike off the stand. Alternatively if they are a similar weight to you, get them to climb on the bike and you make the judgement call.

The tyre pressure will go up when the tyre flexes and warms up, but you don't want the flexing to be going on for too long. It can crack the tyre wall and chafe the inner tube on the ribs on the inner carcase of the tyre.

nigsey

VOC Member
It depends on your weight. The heavier you are the higher the pressure you will require. Try 26psi for starters and perhaps increase if needs be.

The modern SM Avons have a much more flexible sidewall compared to those available when the Vincent handbook was written, so you cannot go by the book anymore.

I use RoadRiders so I cannot advise a good SM pressure for you and your bike. Try sitting on the bike and ask a knowledgeable friend to judge whether the tyre has squashed when you climb aboard. This with the bike off the stand. Alternatively if they are a similar weight to you, get them to climb on the bike and you make the judgement call.

The tyre pressure will go up when the tyre flexes and warms up, but you don't want the flexing to be going on for too long. It can crack the tyre wall and chafe the inner tube on the ribs on the inner carcase of the tyre.
Ok, thanks, I’ll try that. I’m a lightweight at a mere 10.5 stone.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes I agree, The back is a bit too low, Maybe 26 ?, On the rear,
I just wheeled a 300-20 Front, In the shop, I don't think I would go over 20 front ?.
Cheers Bill.