COVID-19 Fuel Tank

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This is a fuel tank I've been working on. The shape is taken from a Thruxton R tank but the bottom is made for a Norton Commando. The project bike is a lightweight Commando 920.
The Thruxton R tank has a lovely shape but it is a bit small. I enlargened the tank here and there hoping to stretch the 14.5 litres to 18 litres.. It ended up at 22 as a lot was gained by making a smaller frame cutout in the bottom.
The buck
IMG_20201120_113033.jpg

Side piece looking great( I know, looks like s..t, but it's a start)
IMG_20201120_113052.jpg

The top piece was a hard battle. To get the curve in the top spine, I used lots of hand pressure to stretch the piece over the back of a wooden chair. The chair eventually broke but the shape is good.
IMG_20201124_190905.jpg

stu spalding

VOC Member
Sandals in a workshop, Vincent B? Nearly as bad as me and my bedroom slippers! Cheers, and I mean that most sincerely folks, Stu.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Bruce. I find that if I put in enough time, the desired shape is found eventually.
More photos-
Shop built e-wheel at bottom.
I built this to some plans available on the Metalmeet site.
The fellows there advised against purchasing one of the inexpensive import Ewheels.
It's a simple device , but there are quite a few optional special features they suggested. I went with all of that and use all of the features.
The main thing though is rigidity. The tubing is 5/16" wall vs smaller dimensioned 1/8" wall tubing in the import Ewheel.
IMG_20201128_185108.jpg
IMG_20201120_113450.jpg

Last edited: