Misc: Carburettors Carburettor Repaint

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
These are TT... shades vary.
9A289972-E954-4CCB-8E7B-6E15241F18A8.jpeg142EB658-F20F-4666-AD97-12E402FDDABD.jpegE29B7CE2-17BC-4BAF-950C-568F2AC217C9.jpegF8E0A834-CC6B-470E-8221-C7D65C162445.jpeg
95E74DB7-C88D-48C4-BC18-37A321083ED4.jpeg

Last edited:

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Electroless nickel.
In my neck of the woods electroless nickel comes in two different colours from different platers, a blue tinge, which would not look right and a yellowish tinge which might be fairly close to the original. It would be wise to look at an example before proceeding.

craig

VOC Member
The surface finish on TT and GP Amal reminds me of the Alodine finish used on Weber carburetors,
Lamborghini and Porsche.
Has Alodine been an option finish on these Amals?

1201-32-henkel-alodine-1201-quart-16.jpg

Last edited:

Vinthou

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have seen several new old stock carbs and the colour seems to have a slight shade of yellowy gold to the silver. Perhaps the colour has changed a little with age? They are not bright silver. Of course colour and an individuals eyesight are very subjective. I do wear glasses but they are not rose tinted!
I have two NOS float chamber caps - one silver and the other with a slight brownish tinge, which is likely the color that you are describing. As far as I know they are just two variations of AMAL colour.

When I painted my carbs, I used ENDURA - a paint used on aircraft - and found a shade very close to the slight brownish one , and also very close to an original paint 289. It has been good for about 15 years and only now starting to bubble a bit at the base near the bleed hole, and I have had overflowing carbs from leaky taps often.

teunvandriel

VOC Member
About 25 years ago I had my carbs painted with a 2 component varnish that has held up well until now. The misery with peeling off at the bottom started a few years ago when the normal petrol here in Holland was mixed with 5% ethanol (now it is 10%). No owner of a classic car or motorcycle still uses this kind of petrol, but luckily the ethanol-free petrol (98) is still widely available (Shell V Power and BP Ultimate). To clean up my carbs I got a tip from a Dutch clubmember and professional restorer, Motip Wheelspray Steel Wheel 04010, which is supposed to be a perfect Amal carb tint and is for sale here on the continent in a regular spraycan (instead of per litre or gallon) for the price of 8 Euros.