Misc: Carburettors Carburettor Repaint

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Putting petrol proof lacquer over a non petrol proof paint is no use, it will find a way through, any scratch or thread is an access point to begin with.
Why not find the right shade and just use a 2k paint.

Dinny

VOC Member
Mines been on 11 years and looks like the date it was applied.

Its all in the prep.

Dinny

VOC Member
I also did not say the Eastwood paint is not petrol resistant. I believe it is to a certain degree but I followed the recommendations of putting a lacquer over the top and it’s been fine and has not washed off.

craig

VOC Member
Hi Dinny, What exact lacquer did you spray over the Eastwood paint please?
EastwoodSilverII.jpg

Dinny

VOC Member
Sorry, I cannot remember but it was just an off the shelf one. I have noticed that they now don’t recommend a lacquer so they must have changed the formula in the last 10 years.

I think it’s also critical that your carbs don’t leak (too much). I run original carbs and seal the washers with a thin smear of hylomar.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The carb parts need to be stripped absolutely bare.........then lightly sand blast, clean off thoroughly then mask off very carefully.........paint in dull eurothane silver in 2 pac........Look at paints that Aeromodellers use, this must resist methanol fuels, castor oil and so on. The original carbs almost always drip fuel unless you keep the bike dead upright like on a Dave Hills stand......I prefer a good side stand like off a Kawasaki, and fitted dozens of them to bikes now..........The paint will eventually lift at the points where fuel leaks from, mostly the bleed hole at the base of the main carb body........You can use dull or matt clear as well over the base paint and this seals the paint.........It is a tricky job that takes a bit of care to get right.........Modern fuels attack paints no matter what they are.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Putting petrol proof lacquer over a non petrol proof paint is no use, it will find a way through, any scratch or thread is an access point to begin with.
Why not find the right shade and just use a 2k paint.
I have seen several new old stock carbs and the colour seems to have a slight shade of yellowy gold to the silver. Perhaps the colour has changed a little with age? They are not bright silver. Of course colour and an individuals eyesight are very subjective. I do wear glasses but they are not rose tinted!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes the original colour is a dull silver, sometimes a yellow tinge and sometimes green........It is very thin and resists fuel well, but we don't run leaded fuels anymore, so you end up with a thicker coat due to the base coat, then a clear over the top..........Exact same issue you have painting Shadow crankcases.