Misc: Carburettors Carburettor Repaint

VanGogh

New Forum User
VOC Member
I am renovating the two Amal carbs on my Black Shadow. The paint finish has peeled and I would be grateful for advice on restoring them to their original condition in terms of colour, lacquered appearance and petrol resistance. I have contacted Burlen (the current makers of Amal and other carbs) but they cannot help, saying they stove enamel their new ones.

VanGogh

New Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks very much for your suggestion. I have looked through their catalogue. Which one did you choose for your carbs? With hindsight, perhaps I should have left out 'lacquered' in describing the carbs appearance.

Sakura

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've never managed to get the Frost/Eastwood carb paint to stay on and I'm not alone. Rubber down with wet or dry and wiped with cellulose thinners but it still comes off. I can't recommend it but others might have a different experience.

VanGogh

New Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you all for your contributions. The Eastwood Silver Carb Renew 2 that was suggested is unobtainable at the moment so I will have to be patient whilst looking for any alternatives.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It may be an obvious statement but the carburettor paint needs to be petrol proof so maybe a clear lacquer coat of whatever the petrol tank painters now use.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Thank you all for your contributions. The Eastwood Silver Carb Renew 2 that was suggested is unobtainable at the moment so I will have to be patient whilst looking for any alternatives.
Possibly because they had too many complaints. Perhaps it was old petrol proof but not ethanol proof? I tried it several times including using an etch primer with only partial success.