• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

ET: Engine (Twin) Carburettor Repaint

VanGogh

New Website User
VOC Member
I am renovating the two Amal carbs on my Black Shadow. The paint finish has peeled and I would be grateful for advice on restoring them to their original condition in terms of colour, lacquered appearance and petrol resistance. I have contacted Burlen (the current makers of Amal and other carbs) but they cannot help, saying they stove enamel their new ones.

VanGogh

New Website User
VOC Member
Thanks very much for your suggestion. I have looked through their catalogue. Which one did you choose for your carbs? With hindsight, perhaps I should have left out 'lacquered' in describing the carbs appearance.

Sakura

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I've never managed to get the Frost/Eastwood carb paint to stay on and I'm not alone. Rubber down with wet or dry and wiped with cellulose thinners but it still comes off. I can't recommend it but others might have a different experience.

VanGogh

New Website User
VOC Member
Thank you all for your contributions. The Eastwood Silver Carb Renew 2 that was suggested is unobtainable at the moment so I will have to be patient whilst looking for any alternatives.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It may be an obvious statement but the carburettor paint needs to be petrol proof so maybe a clear lacquer coat of whatever the petrol tank painters now use.

Sakura

VOC Member
Thank you all for your contributions. The Eastwood Silver Carb Renew 2 that was suggested is unobtainable at the moment so I will have to be patient whilst looking for any alternatives.
Possibly because they had too many complaints. Perhaps it was old petrol proof but not ethanol proof? I tried it several times including using an etch primer with only partial success.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Putting petrol proof lacquer over a non petrol proof paint is no use, it will find a way through, any scratch or thread is an access point to begin with.
Why not find the right shade and just use a 2k paint.

Dinny

VOC Member
I also did not say the Eastwood paint is not petrol resistant. I believe it is to a certain degree but I followed the recommendations of putting a lacquer over the top and it’s been fine and has not washed off.

Dinny

VOC Member
Sorry, I cannot remember but it was just an off the shelf one. I have noticed that they now don’t recommend a lacquer so they must have changed the formula in the last 10 years.

I think it’s also critical that your carbs don’t leak (too much). I run original carbs and seal the washers with a thin smear of hylomar.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The carb parts need to be stripped absolutely bare.........then lightly sand blast, clean off thoroughly then mask off very carefully.........paint in dull eurothane silver in 2 pac........Look at paints that Aeromodellers use, this must resist methanol fuels, castor oil and so on. The original carbs almost always drip fuel unless you keep the bike dead upright like on a Dave Hills stand......I prefer a good side stand like off a Kawasaki, and fitted dozens of them to bikes now..........The paint will eventually lift at the points where fuel leaks from, mostly the bleed hole at the base of the main carb body........You can use dull or matt clear as well over the base paint and this seals the paint.........It is a tricky job that takes a bit of care to get right.........Modern fuels attack paints no matter what they are.

Sakura

VOC Member
Putting petrol proof lacquer over a non petrol proof paint is no use, it will find a way through, any scratch or thread is an access point to begin with.
Why not find the right shade and just use a 2k paint.
I have seen several new old stock carbs and the colour seems to have a slight shade of yellowy gold to the silver. Perhaps the colour has changed a little with age? They are not bright silver. Of course colour and an individuals eyesight are very subjective. I do wear glasses but they are not rose tinted!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes the original colour is a dull silver, sometimes a yellow tinge and sometimes green........It is very thin and resists fuel well, but we don't run leaded fuels anymore, so you end up with a thicker coat due to the base coat, then a clear over the top..........Exact same issue you have painting Shadow crankcases.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories