H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Brake Drainage

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Looking at the brakes on my Vincent I noticed some differences. Just one of the 4 backing plates has 4 equi-distant holes around the outer edge. Also I seem to recall mention that there should be/ is desirable for water drainage holes in the brake drums themselves.

So - when did these drain holes come into being at the works - frame or engine number?

And if they are not there today, should they be added? If yes where and what size?

IRBrock

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looking at the brakes on my Vincent I noticed some differences. Just one of the 4 backing plates has 4 equi-distant holes around the outer edge. Also I seem to recall mention that there should be/ is desirable for water drainage holes in the brake drums themselves.

So - when did these drain holes come into being at the works - frame or engine number?

And if they are not there today, should they be added? If yes where and what size?
Would have come in when water excluders were introduced. I believe the backing plate with no excluder on your machine to be the one with the sprocket.
As for the drums, I believe only ribbed drums have the drain holes.
Ian.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
4 holes you mention on brake plates sound like the holes for riveting water excluders plate without them for rear brake. Also pics of drum shows drain holes inside and out I know some have been made without these holes because my mate had a set

Attachments

• BCF11206-C5F4-4A2B-B942-B77ECD561259.jpeg
    BCF11206-C5F4-4A2B-B942-B77ECD561259.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 20
  • FB58E4B6-50D3-45D6-AD9F-B004E918FE7D.jpeg
    FB58E4B6-50D3-45D6-AD9F-B004E918FE7D.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 15
  • F16666DB-4910-4EC5-BAB5-A1DB4C8BED42.jpeg
    F16666DB-4910-4EC5-BAB5-A1DB4C8BED42.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 16
  • A1FFDC6B-FB9A-4067-91C8-26BD0D7A4869.jpeg
    A1FFDC6B-FB9A-4067-91C8-26BD0D7A4869.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 19

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
4 holes you mention on brake plates sound like the holes for riveting water excluders plate without them for rear brake. Also pics of drum shows drain holes inside and out I know some have been made without these holes because my mate had a set
Thanks Shane, exactly what I have observed. I wonder if there is anything to be gained - or lost by adding the drain holes to the non-ribbed drums

M

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Trust Vincent to build an amphibious motorcycle. I don't think those little holes drilled in the drum are necessary, the brake plate to drum is not a watertight seal (hopefully) dust, dirt and water that can't escape from that generous running clearance will stand little chance of exiting through a very small hole, I would imagine they would get blocked with brake dust fairly rapidly.

oexing

VOC Member
I would drill these holes anyway, cannot do any harm. My idea is not so much to drain any water but to have a chance to get brake dust out. I got some drum brakes with holes , or did drill them - never been blocked by dust. So I´d add them. When having air scoops on brake plates there could be another use for bigger holes - for improving air cooling. The big Fontanas have their air exit in the middle of the hub through slots cast-in, no exits at the rear of the brake plate. So that is what one could copy - sort of - by drilling bigger holes in the drum to go with scoops.

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
I thought all that dust and crud improved the braking its called the "snow plough effect" :rolleyes: