Aluminum Welding in 1918

Colin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Blimey. Sammy Miller is even older than I thought.
Quick story about Sam.(different Miller obviously)
When I was riding trials (in the Novice class) I occasionally entered the same trial as Sam. One time when the going was getting worse and worse for mud, I came off my AJS in a big heap at the bottom of a deep and very muddy hole. It was very difficult to extract my bike, and I was delaying everyone. Sam was pressing on so simply rode down into the hole, used my bike as grip and "cleaned" the section.
A superb trials rider in his day, with a will always to win.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And he is still with it and assertive. You might recall that he had an ad in MPH a few months ago, wanting to exchange a disc braked front wheel from a Black Knight (the ex- Roy Cross bike) he had bought to put in his museum. I offered to do the swap but he wanted an as new front wheel, decent chrome, black centre, red lines, s/s spokes, well painted brake drums and plates etc. It had to look like a new wheel. This was during the lock down but I built the wheel and took it down there as soon as we could travel. I spent the day with his mechanic, removing the disc braked wheel and all the ancillary parts and then fitting the replacement wheel. The whole time Sammy was buzzing around working on other bikes and when the job on the Knight was finished he then took me round what is a superb museum. It is not the kind of place I would go to normally but for anyone who is in the area it is well worth a visit.