Misc: Charging Systems alton generator

1050 Gary

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
i have a series c rapide fitted with an Alton generator ,on tickover i am getting 13.5 volts at the battery, revving the engine the charging does not increase until after 3000rpm then it goes up to 14 .4volts .is this correct ? any ride with lights on means i flatten the battery . is this normal for a Alton generator , the generator was fitted in 2006

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It sounds as if you could have a gearbox model with the alternator doing double speed, if it is still with just grease in it you can expect this to happen.
Or remove it, open it up clean out the grease drill a hole at an angle to end up in the G/box section using a rubber stopper to seal the hole

P1050681.JPG

REASSEMBLE IT AND FILL IT WITH A LIGHT GEAR OIL USING THE HOLE TO CHECK THE DEPTH OF OIL. I USE THE G/BOX DIP STICK AND HAVEN'T TOPP ED IT UP FOR SEVERAL YEARS BUT IT'S DONE ABOUT 8k miles since
I always use as much lighting as possible LED of corse to relieve the regulator of too much heat dissipation as an alternator with magnets produces current weather it is used or not if not then the surplus is used to produce heat, I have heated grips that are on most of the time as I also have a volt meter indicating when I switch on battery level about 12.5 when started as use an electric starter let it rise to 14,5 V when the amp-meter reduces to zero I switch on my heated grips if my hand get too hot I switch on my tungsten filament head light as I run two with a continental dip and a British dip keeping volts to 13 or just above.
One day I will get round to fitting my Nippon Denso alternator with built in regulator with 30 amp out put but must be geared up so it will charge at tick over like a car and will regulate with out the necessity to produce un-required heat as it will have a field regulation.
best of luck,
bananaman.

P1050624.JPG

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Depends on the draw of your lights, any accessories, and if you have an ignition system that is dependent on current from the charging system. What ignition do you have? I fitted an Alton to my C Shadow 20+ years ago. I had a Lucas Rita ignition system as well as a H4 55/60 watt headlamp. After a hour ride in the evening back from a section meeting the headlamp would be dimming as the headlamp and ignition system drew more than the Alton provides. This in spite of a perfectly good battery that is on a trickle charger and disconnected from the system when I am not riding.
A few years back I fitted a modern BTH electronic magneto. This eliminated a large current draw from the system. Now the lights don't dim after riding at night.
The documentation that came with both my Altons (I have one fitted to my Comet as well), says that while it is a 150 alternator it is only producing 90 watts at normal cruising speeds and should have an 8 to 14 amp hour battery.
Steven