Age related registrations and the pressure to eliminate petrol

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Aware of the danger of fueling Vibrac's paranoia of all things official a thought occured when reading the news this morning, and yes I know that is dangerous.

In the UK there is a drive to eliminate the use of carbon based fuels for such things like heating systems i.e. gas and transport i.e. petrol and diesel. The Committee on Climate Change whoever they are has suggested banning the sale of new petrol motorcycles from 2032 to fall in with the similar suggestion of petrol and diesel cars at the same time. Now this will not ban existing vehicles already registered and on the road and not ban the use of petrol, just stop any new vehicles been used from a certain date. The easiest way in the UK to do this is for the DVLA to stop issuing new registration to vehicles using such fuels from a certain date and so allow existing vehicles to continue but stop new ones. This could have a ramification though to the classic vehicle world as an age related registration application is regarded by the DVLA as a "new" registration application even though the vehicle is over 25 years old and the registration issued is an old style. If you have a bike with an age related reg then just look at the 1st date of registration on the V5C it will be the date the DVLA processed the application, not the date the vehicle was made. So this could potentially stop any new age related registrations been issued after 2032?

This is all speculation, but the one way you as owners could take control is to dig out those basket case parts you have under the bench which you have been saying for years that you will complete one day and get the bikes built and then registered with the DVLA. Do do it now rather than later as that may be too late.

Simon

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just read that Bournemouth don't want Vehicles on Poole Quay, Because of Corvid !!!.
But after, It would still be a good idea ??, They say, Vibrac !.
Not sure what would happen to "Bike Night ", Never been myself, But they say it's a good do !.

vibrac

VOC Member
The whole petrol electric car senario is based on obsolete knowledge, geo politics and manufacturers that want to scrap perfectly good cars and reduce their workforce
Since Petrol and other hydrocarbon fuels can now be made from carbon dioxide with the addition of solar energy at a price that rivals the pre covid prices for refined fuel (See Carbon Engineering Ltd) How any one (apart from a deluded nordic teenager) can think an electric car with batteries made from rare earths and the erection of a new electric infrastructure (imagine the costs in a street scenario) can be more environmentally friendly than the retention of existing cars and infrastructure by a technology that actually recycles its Co2 and whose implementation will improve the technology for sequestration as it is developed.
I have not mentioned the effect on oil producing countries when any country with sunlight and air could start producing their own fuel or the desire of governments to make their populations less mobile and more traceable.
There is more to this than appears on the surface. And I see Carbon Engineering has just had lots of shares bought by Petrol Companies:(

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The aim of my post wasn’t to get into a the politics of banning petrol etc and was more to kickstart owners to get their basket case parts out and get them built into bikes and registered with the DVLA as you never know they may pull the plug on age related applications.

Simon

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The aim of my post wasn’t to get into a the politics of banning petrol etc and was more to kickstart owners to get their basket case parts out and get them built into bikes and registered with the DVLA as you never know they may pull the plug on age related applications.

Simon

I cannot see that happening Simon unless people start spending less time on this forum and more time working on the bikes in their sheds and garages. It is not exactly freezing in said potential work places.........:cool:

vibrac

VOC Member
I guess the next step will be to tax them now they have got us all in the "Historic" corral and to limit where we can use them.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I suspect one day a bean counter or bureaucrat will look at the age related department at DVLA and question the departments continuing requirement as all the old vehicles must have been captured by now and then suggest closing the department. The cost saving will ensure he gets his annual bonus but any classic vehicle not registered will be looking at Q plate assuming they will still allow petrol driven vehicles to be newly registered.

Get you projects finished and get them registered whilst you can as 2032 is only 12 years away and it will soon be here. I have been doing the Machine registrar job now for 6 years and there are bikes that were nearly ready for registration then that are still nearly ready for registration. The clock is ticking.

Simon

vibrac

VOC Member
I believe its age related and kit department I know its about the only bunch in the place that have any clue (relatively)