The Mighty Garage 1951 Vincent Rapide - Part 076: Maintenance Job - New Spark Plug Wires

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Robert I think H.T. leads are pretty standard,
But you really want the ones with the copper wire in them, Not resister types as used in some Cars.
Have a look at Feked.com
Cheers Bill.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Also make the insulation silicon as it will stay flexible and will not melt when touching the exhaust pipe. It's about twice the price to the PVC plastic leads.
bananaman.

RobertWilliam

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for your responses - what prompted the question was when I looked on GSsparks website for plug leads I noticed they had 5,7,8,9 mm copper core thickness although the 7 mm one looks by far the most common... I have a Rapide with six volt magneto so want to make the best leads I can. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for your responses - what prompted the question was when I looked on GSsparks website for plug leads I noticed they had 5,7,8,9 mm copper core thickness although the 7 mm one looks by far the most common... I have a repeat with six volt magneto so want to make the best leads I can. Cheers
Aren't those the the total insulation outside diameter?

The spark plug wire you want must fit through the caps on the pickup, see pic below. measure yours and you'll know what to buy.

Attachments

• Mag PU.png
    Mag PU.png
    325.8 KB · Views: 10

RobertWilliam

Forum User
VOC Member
No worries Bill and obviously my little note should’ve said Rapide not repeat
In the absence of being able to find the information I will probably buy the 7mm lead and its definitely a good tip on the silicon sheathing