Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Funny you ask about wellseal, I was intending to add it to the previous post with sealants. As the head nuts go to 38 lbs ft, it will "do" for the studs too. Measure the available depth for the 2 rear studs to avoid contact with the spindles.

vibrac

VOC Member
38 lbs ft is a bit heavy for my recall I was told 32 at my mothers knee (The only time I use a torque spanner on the Vin and then I feel a little guilty :) *)
and even 32 is done as 25 ish in the evening and 32 in the following morning, delicate things those barrels
*Dont forget the first real torque wrench was only patented in 1935 in USA and the beam deflector type in 1948 so I doubt if there was any at Stevenage. Back then tight is tight too tight is busted.

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
Which head bolt (stud?) would that be?
Which spindle?
In general, check the rear timing-side studs. It is the spindles that carry oil to the piston skirts. The spindle has to deliver oil to the skirt and the oil passage has to get around the head stud. As a result, the spindle can be very near the stud, itself. A good test is to measure the spindle that was removed and compare its length to the length of the replacement spindle. If the used spindle has been shortened, it is likely that you will have to shorten the replacement.

Apologies for not knowing the twin specifically, but on the Comet it is the inlet follower stud. I had to shorten the one in my racer. I did not realize this until the replacement spindle would not go into the hot case far enough to be at the correct height to match the other spindles.

David

craig

VOC Member
Thanks all, checked all (4) of my timing side head bolts and they all install full depth.
If I remember, Wellseal is kind of a runny, thin, grey liquid sealant.
Would my in stock Threebond 1184 be equivalent?

I am thinking 15-20 ft lbs for head bolt torque or maybe a mild grunt for torque.

oexing

VOC Member
Any low viscosity low strength thread locking would do , don´t apply too much of it so in later times you can undo the studs.
For tightening the long studs I´d go for fairly mild force on the nuts. Keep in mind the studs are common steel and cylinders plus heads are alu, a long distance from bottom to top. And in operating temperature there will be quite some growth that puts another strain in the studs. So in cold condition you don´t put too much torque on nuts, won´t be much more oiltight from this. I do have a torque wrench but almost never use it except maybe on car engine heads. Just a mechanic´s feel on spanners for me.
My guess: A lot more threads were wrecked by torque wrenches than by hand feel - by getting numbers on the wrench dial wrong . . . .

Vic

craig

VOC Member
It looks like Threebond 1184, Hylomar AF, Hylomar Blue in my inventory would be suitable for Head Bolt upper thread sealant. Torqued to a value of appropriate experienced mechanic's grunt using a box end spanner.

The G50 Pivot bearing plate needs to be installed on the timing side crankcase half prior to joining the case halves together. Any tips on G50 install? I didn't find any coverage in KTB.